Follow my lead

We traveled until the sun set, stopping at a small cliff to camp.

"Will you finally tell me what you meant by 'stuff to show me'?" I asked, he sighed.

"Yes, now I'll show you, you need to have some patience" he muttered, I growled slightly and he placed his hand on my shoulder.

"Let's have some fun, ey! That's what a festival is all about, I'll be doing camera work tomorrow, but tonight we can get some other stuff done" he explained, I nodded slowly, trying to hide my utter confusion.

"Have you ever howled before?" He asked, I shrugged slightly, I wouldn't call it howling, when as a kid I would howl at dogs to see their reactions.

"Kind of?" I answered, he muttered to himself.

He led me to the edge of the cliff and I gave him an anxious look.

"Relax, we're going to do some howling" he told me, he had a hand on my shoulder.

"If you've tried before you'll have a general idea of the sound, but try going deeper, using the bottom of your throat" he explained.

"How?" I asked.

"Well, you know how you growl? Try extending on that" he reiterated.

I couldn't find the confidence to do it in front of him.

"Relax" he added.

I sighed and let out a strange croaky noise, I covered my mouth, my face heating up, he just handed me a water skin and I took a drink.

"You're using the wrong tone, the back wall of your throat should be where the sound begins, it should feel like a tunnel from your throat to mouth." He explained.

I tried again, and again, the sound definitely became more howl like after playing around with my voice, he nodded and told me to tilt my head up slightly, to give the air room to travel.

He let out an impressive howl, I tried a few more times, it was coming along better each time.

He patted my shoulder "good job!" He praised.

"Why are we howling?" I asked, he gave me a smirk.

"I just thought it'd be a good thing for you to be good at" he said.

"So it has nothing to do with the festival?" I asked, I looked at him, trying to figure out what he was up to.

"Maybe, have you ever danced before?" He asked, what is going on here?

"Um... Yes" I responded.

"You do know what dancing is right?" He asked, I was angry that he'd even ask that, I don't live under a rock!

"Of course I do!" I snapped.

"Great, I bet you've never done a traditional wolf dance, albeit I'll need to do the... Parental one.... Because you're short" he said slowly, eyeing me warningly, I gave him my innocent grin.

"Yes father! Let's dance!" I exclaimed, he sighed.

"So anyway, you grab my hands" he started, I eyed him suspiciously, he held out his hands patiently, I slowly complied.

He gripped my hands in a firm yet gentle grip, I watched him as he took a step forward, I took a step back, he smiled as if my anxious move was correct.

He released one of my hands and spun me in a circle, he grabbed my other hand again and began moving, slowly, I stumbled a bit as he moved about, feet had to be in certain positions, judging my the moves this dance must be a very strength based one.