Being here

Dinner time came, its been a tough day, from going to the vets to learning about the baby, I felt exhausted despite my nap, and I don't really want to go into the kitchen, or sit on the hard floor, or even deal with Julian.

My anger has dwindled, yet I feel defeated, he won, its not like I can really go against him, and now that he's home, his whole attitude has changed, I've never been a part of the equation, I'm just some dumb slave who he made promise to being his pet.

I sat on the stairs, staring at the front door, the wood seemed unnatural and shiny, coloured glass glittered as the setting suns light shone through.

I yawned into my hand, thinking of what to do now, there must be some way for me to get back home, this is dumb, I said I'd be his pet, pets run away don't they?

I resisted the urge to slap myself, that kind of thinking could get me hurt, he wanted someone to keep him company while he did his work, and now that, that isn't necessary, I'm just a bother, that must be it, the best option is to behave, be some use to him.

"Claire! What are you doing sweety? Aren't you hungry?" Asked Kate, she looked concerned, her emerald eyes filled with worry.

"Not really" I mumbled, I had lost my appetite, I was thirsty though.

"Oh, can I get you anything at least?" She asked, I gave a weak smile.

"Just some water please" I responded, she nodded and rushed away, quickly returning to me, her hand lingered on my shoulder, as if she wanted to ask me a question, she held her tongue and left to eat.

I drank down the water and took it to the sink, not looking at the eating couple, I liked Kate, she seems genuine, Julian is nice, when he's getting what he wants.

I left and headed to their big comfy bed, curling up under the blanket, letting it cover me and protect me like a cocoon.

Though after a few hours, like a cocoon, it was opened, the blanket lifted off of me, I squinted up in the light as Julian and Kate joined me, I cuddled into Kate, she reminded me a little of my own mother, who is a lot more rough around the edges, I didn't get a chance to see her at the colony when we finally got there.

Julian's arms pulled me against him, I held my tongue, even though the small pressure flared up the pain in my gut.

Their warmth was nice, pleasant, especially as the nights got colder, winters coming soon, this is a lot better then sleeping beside a fire stove, or in a large group, colony life can get very hard.

Julian's hand brushed my hair, I ignored it, telling myself to relax, he's just stressed after finding out that he's going to be a father, I can't keep claiming to understand him, even if it feels like more than stress.

Morning came quickly, one minute I'm scolding myself mentally, the next the sun is peaking through the glass, Julian could be felt stretching out, he sat up and yawned.

I glanced back at him, he was doing something on his phone, he stood up and looked at Kate.

"Hey hun, what do you want for breakfast?" He asked, Kate giggled and wrapped herself around me.

"What do you want Claire?" She asked, she gave my forehead a kiss and stroked my hair.

"Bacon and eggs" I said simply, it'd be nice to have that again.

"Bacon and eggs sounds wonderful!" She exclaimed.

"Alright, I'll be back in a bit, might need to duck out to grab more bacon though" he stated, Kate giggled and looked at him.

"That's fine, extra time to sleep in then" she exclaimed.

Julian left and Kate fixed up her position, sitting up, reaching for a book, I watched her in confusion, didn't she want to sleep in?