General hygiene

Kate began talking about her job, she works backstage at plays, I don't really know what that means, but she seems to enjoy it.

Julian began talking about our journey, Kate seemed to be quite upset by everything that had happened, and he hadn't even gotten halfway yet, but he stopped, she gave him a sad smile.

"I know how much you love this job, it must have been difficult to make changes to protect her" she muttered, placing her hand on his arm, he gave her a small smile.

"Yea, but I'm with you again, and it will be a few months until I'm sent out on the big expedition again" pointed out Julian, grabbing her hand and giving it a firm and gentle squeeze.

I stared at the empty bowl and looked out to the darkening sky, I didn't belong here.

They collected the dishes and placed them into a washing machine like thing.

Julian picked Kate up and whisked her away, I could hear them laughing as they headed upstairs, I sighed, feeling sad and irrelevant.

I slowly walked out and sat back on the soft floor, my back up against a white wall, my knees up to my chest, I slowly dozed off in the uncomfortable position, I jumped as footsteps sounded from the stairs, I looked up to see Julian heading into the kitchen, the sound of a tap and water filling a glass could be heard.

Julian stepped out and noticed me, he sighed and grumbled to himself, he grabbed my arm and pulled me up.

"Come" he grumbled, he led me upstairs, I yawned and wiped my eyes, he opened a door, an empty bed stood, I saw a more lived in room further down the hall, Kate was reading a book.

"You can sleep in here, or on the floor in our room, here have this" he mumbled, he handed me the glass of water and hurried back downstairs, Kate made a sound of adoration, I stared at the water and took a sip, I sat on the bed, it felt lonely and cold, I had gotten quite used to Julian making me sleep with him.

I finished the water and watched Julian pass by, heading for the room, and I felt alone, in this emotionless room.

I quietly took the glass down the stairs and placed it into the sink, I had to grab a chair, but I managed.

I headed back upstairs, the lights had gone out, I looked at the empty room, slowly I headed for their room, taking a quick detour to find a toilet.

Once I had washed my hands, I continued to head to the room, trying to be quiet, I could sleep on the floor, yet I wanted to be close.

I crawled onto the end of the bed and curled up, a foot was trying to push me off, yet I was being quite stubborn.

"Ugh really" groaned Julian.

"Oh leave her, she's not hurting anyone" tutted Kate, I smiled to myself, the blanket was big and warm, I've never felt such a soft blanket.

The bed dipped slightly, I was picked up and held against Julian's chest, he lay back down and pulled the blanket up, he lay on his side, holding me with one hand, the other pulling Kate closer, she giggled softly, draping her arm over us, it felt oddly pleasant, not intimidating or scary.

A smile on my face.

I think I enjoyed this sleep better then any other.

I woke up to them chatting, light filtering in, Julian stroking the side of my body, like I was a cat.

I didn't mind at the moment, I was to tired and comfortable.

"Morning cutie" cooed Kate, I looked at her and wiped my eyes, the way she looked at me made me feel like a little kid.