30: Curious Student

“Oh I’m sorry.” I mumbled realizing that he was still next to me. “She just seemed so infatuated I had to mess with her a bit.”

He shook his head and chuckled. “It’s all right Isadora.”

I didn’t want to admit to myself that my heart lowered a bit when he didn’t call me Isa. “I promise to behave next time. But a little of a heads up for what my cover will be would be nice.”

“I think you did just fine.”

We exited the elevator and walked across the garage to his truck. I climbed in, fastened my seatbelt and turned to face him. “And I was right.”

He cocked an eyebrow as he started his car. “About what?”

“That your name was Collin.” I shrugged.

“Ah, I was wondering how you’d known it then.”

“I don’t know. No one ever said it.” I eyed his face slowly taking in all of his strikingly handsome features. “You do look like a Collin.”

“It’s my name.” he nodded.

“How many names have you gone by Mr.Marrs?” I asked out of nowhere. “I mean you can’t always go by Collin Marrs.”

“Quite a few more than I’d like to admit.”

I wanted to ask him what his original name was but I felt it may be too personal. After all I was just the girl who had accidentally stumbled onto his secret. “Am I allowed to ask questions?”

He gave me an amused smile. “Yes, you may. I don’t promise to answer though.”

“Same goes for you then.” I huffed feeling miffed for no reason. I wasn’t going to ask anything too personal. I doubted there’d be anything he’d want to know from me but that didn’t matter anymore. I’d already made the comment.

We drove in silence for a bit. It wasn’t awkward silence. We were both lost in our own minds.

I bet Meredith gets to see him every day. I thought sourly. My victory had only been a momentary one. She’d get to see him acting like a normal man. I snuck a glance in his direction as I watched him driving. Did she ever come over with food for him? Or maybe even invite him over for dinner at hers? I hid a scowl as I pictured her eating dinner with him. I knew that he ate. He’d gone out to eat where I’d worked before.

With his girlfriend.

The thought suddenly struck me. “Uhm Mr.Marrs?”

“Yes Isadora?”

“Won’t your girlfriend get upset if Meredith tells her you were leaving with a girl in the morning?”

He stared at me a long moment and then began to laugh. Of course I had asked something stupid. If he had a girlfriend she knew what he was! She was probably one herself! I turned my eyes away from him utterly embarrassed. He probably brought home girls every night to drink from. All he’d have to do was change their memories. If it wasn’t for the fact my blood made him crazy and I was defective so he couldn’t change my memories he would have done the same with me.

Suddenly his perfect sounding laughter didn’t seem so beautiful. “I get it.” I snapped at him. “Stupid question.” I rolled my eyes as his laughing quieted and instead rested my head on the window and looked out of it at the passing houses.

“Where did that idea even come from?” he asked his voice still holding a laugh to it.

“I’m sorry I’m used to the whole a taken guy leaving with a girl in the morning being a weird thing. I forgot your circumstances.” Jeeze did he know how to make me feel like an idiot.

He turned a corner and I could feel his eyes on me. “I meant the idea that I had a girlfriend Isadora.”

“Oh.” I muttered, embarrassed once again. “I served you guys at Laysaya’s, where I work.”

“That wasn’t my girlfriend.” I looked over at him after he said it. “That’s my sister.”

“Your sister.” I repeated baffled. She was breathtaking it was true but she didn’t have any similar features to him at all.

“In a way.” his eyes left mine and went back towards the road. “We belong to the same family of the clan.”

“The clan.” I said with a short nod. Vampires. Sister. Clan. Family. Yeah, I’d never understand any of this.

Mr.Marrs sighed. “Yes. There are turned vampires who are left to their own but there are more like my sister and I, natural born vampires and part of the clan. She stopped into my sector to let me know of some problems.”

“Your sector.”

“Well if we weren’t given areas to our own there would be some shortage of a certain fluid we need to live. It makes things easier and therefore everyone is registered a sector of their choosing. It helps us remain safe.”

“A shortage.” I breathed.

He groaned. “It’d be better if you left questions like this until later. You don’t want to take in too much right now. You’re obviously still adapting to the entire concept of my kind.”

“I didn’t ask anything.” I retorted. I adapted to it faster than he may think! Hmph. I didn’t need to have time. I was perfectly capable of accepting the reality I was shown. “I just repeated a few words so I could put what you were saying to memory. You took them as questions.”

Our eyes met in a silent battle. He finally broke it first and shook his head with a smile as he pulled the truck over. “You’re a confusing one Isadora.”

I looked out to realize we were close to the school and that it meant this was my stop. “That’s what makes me fun.” I responded with a smile. “After all, what’s a teacher without a curious student?” With that said I hopped from the truck and closed the door behind me. I gave him a small nod and started to walk away. I knew I’d see him in a few minutes anyways. He was my first hour teacher after all.