41: Your Classic Breakfast Conversation

• Dedicated to silentwriter, my amazing editor who is to thank for my sentences making any sens

I grinned and turned the corner a cup of coffee and the full pot already in my hands. “I figured as much.” Proud of myself that I had anticipated his choice I sauntered into the room and handed him forth the cup of the deep black liquid. It was just as I knew he liked it, black and piping hot. As his hand brushed mine before taking hold of the cup I flashed him a pleased smile.

He returned my smile and accepted the coffee. I set the coffeepot on the hotpad I’d sat out already in anticipation of his choice. “You look like you’re feeling better.” he commented, watching me casually as I took my seat across from him.

“I am.” I nodded. Maybe Mr.Marrs was my charging dock? After sleeping and waking up in his arms I felt as though I were ready to face the world head on. I smiled inwardly. How had I gone from being so nervous around him to eating in his apartment and making chitchat?

Part of me wished I could ask him about how I’d woken up in his arms but I couldn’t bring myself to ask. I didn’t want to know the answer. What if it had been an accident? What if he was just to women in his bed and it was a habit of his? Or worse; what if I had clung to him and he’d accepted it feeling guilty that his world had caused me to end up in his house in the first place?

My stomach turned a little but I forced it to stop as I forked some more of the food I’d so carefully prepared into my mouth. I didn’t know what I could say and so I didn’t say anything at all. After a few silent minutes of eating the hearty food I’d made Mr.Marrs poured himself his third cup of coffee and I noticed for the first time he’d been watching me.

I gave him a weak smile as I wiped the edge of my mouth with a napkin. What was I supposed to say? But he fixed this problem for me and instead asked, “Do you mind telling me how you ended up in that alleyway?”

“I work at Laysaya’s.” I replied glad that there was some conversation finally. “When I got off work I instantly started getting bad vibes. I missed my bus and ended up wasting time downtown. By the time it started getting dark the feeling was back.” I played with the napkin slightly embarrassed. “I ended up taking back streets and alleys because I thought something was following me. Probably not my brightest idea looking back on it.”

Mr.Marrs raised an eyebrow. “You could feel them?”

“I didn’t know what it was I was feeling at the time but now I know that’s what it was. Just like when I first met you. It’s like my body’s panic alarm.” I answered avoiding his eyes. Being able to feel vampires wasn’t exactly normal and we both knew it. Somewhere along the line I’d gone insane. My mind was broken in some way and it seemed that it only had to do with vampires.

“I’ve never heard of this happening before.” he gave me a puzzled look as though trying to figure me out. “You definitely pose a lot of questions Isadora.”

“I’m not sure if I want the answers.” I mumbled and met his eyes. “What if I’m just defective?         

His eyes flashed brightly as they finally met mine and I stared into the swirling seafoam green. They seemed to be reading right into my very soul and I couldn’t look away as much as I probably should have. Mr.Marrs had seen me at a weak fragile point. There was no reason to hide my obvious fear at finding out anything about whey I was the way I was from him. After swallowing a gulp of coffee Mr.Marrs shook his head slowly. “If you don’t want to find out then I’ll refrain from trying to dig out the answers.”