4: Getting Over the Awkward

“No, The Tudors isn’t really historically correct. They have altered history to make the show more entertaining. It’s a television show, not a documentary.” I added into the conversation.

“Perfectly put Isadora.” Mr. Marrs said with a nod as he wrote ‘Altered history’ in big letters on the whiteboard.

Beside me Aiden made a little sound and I looked over at him. He was fast asleep, his head lolling back as he leaned back in his chair. I chuckled and looked back to the board.

“That leads us into today’s conversation. Altered history.” Mr. Marrs introduced today’s lesson to us. “How do we know what is true history and what has been tweaked and changed for us? Since none of us were there how do we know what actually occurred?”

The lesson went on and I actually began to get into it. I hated history. I had only taken the class because I needed a social studies credit and Aiden decided this would be the one we should take.

“No, Marissa, we will not be watching The Tudors in class since it isn’t historically correct and this is a history class.” Mr. Marrs said as he glanced to the clock and noticed there was but two minutes left.

I rose my hand and he called on me. “I think that we should still be able to watch at least parts of them in class. The books and documentaries make the people involved seem so impersonal. They treat them like facts and not people. The reason people love The Tudors is because we can reach the characters on a much more personal basis.” I smiled as I saw the contemplative look on his face. Watching clips in class meant more time to goof off and I was determined to win this battle. “Isn’t the point of learning about it to remember and connect with history? Not be bored as we approach it as though they are merely speed bumps?”

Mr. Marrs returned my smile. “You do make a good point.”

“Is that a yes?” I asked hopefully and the rest of the class hung in suspense with me as we waited for his reply.

He shook his head as he said “Yes, only if I view the clips we will be playing to make sure they are appropriate.”

“Yes!” a few of the people in the class said pleased as the bell rang.

Aiden shot awake and looked around amused. “And they say they don’t have nap time in highschool.”

I chuckled and got up, slinging my book bag over my shoulder. Aiden rushed from the room following closely behind some brunette that he had been flirting with the past few days.

“Oh, Mr. Marrs I have The Tudors seasons one through three, so if you want I can bring them in and show you the usable clips. I was thinking tomorrow during my study hall fourth hour.” I offered standing at the edge of his desk.

He raised his eyes to mine and I had to fight back the sudden urge to punch him. What on earth was wrong with me?! I clenched my hand into a fist, digging my nails into the skin of my palm as I refused the urge.

“That would be wonderful.” he said slowly scooting his chair back, further away from me. Perhaps he had realized how tense I had suddenly become?