18: Partner in Crime

As I looked to Aiden a smile crept across my face. I’d let him think it was Shane I was talking to. His look of satisfaction made me bubble with sneaky pride. Oh would I make him feel like the fool for once! “I’m surprised you called.”

“Me too.” he agreed. “But then again you’re used to surprises lately, aren’t ya?”

My eyebrow raised as he said this. “Oh?”

“First a vampire now your table being invaded by superstuds.” he said and I could feel the sarcasm dripping as he said ‘superstuds.’ I couldn’t help but chuckle at the way he talked. His voice was just so… so easy. Like he said what he wanted and that was that. No hidden meanings just talking. “Or were they the vampires?”

“Unfortunately not.” I sighed. Had Aiden been a vampire I could have at least confided in him about the whole ordeal. But sadly he was not. “Actually I take that back. Those sorts of people living for so long would be the end of all humanity.”

Those sorts? I wondered at my own wording. For the first time ever I’d coupled Aiden with being one of the many brainless jockstrap jerks. His puzzled look as he listened trying to figure out what me and ‘Shane’ were talking about only caused me to feel no guilt by my comment. “Well then which one is your boyfriend?”

“Neither.”

“Which one wants to be?”

I could tell from the tone of his voice he was giving his half interested mischievous smile that I’d seen him give me when I had mentioned how I’d just write my own excused absence slip. “I’ll give you three hints.” I grinned. It was a set up just for Aiden who listened to my every word. “He’s a football star.” I said stressing the word ‘star’ like some fan girl. “He knows everything about anyone who’s someone….” I paused having left the real give away for last since the first two hints could have been either Shane or Aiden. “And he has the most amazingly perfect blonde hair.”

Of course I was oozing sarcasm from every word I said but Aiden was none the smarter. He was too busy believing that I was giving Shane hints about who I liked, and that it was obviously him and that we’d be perfect together blah blah blah blah. I didn’t know why Aiden wanted me to get with Shane so badly but I didn’t care at that point. I was having too much fun stringing him along.

“Ah Kelson.” he laughed. “I got the feeling you didn’t appreciate his company.”

How perceptive of him. I thought I’d done a decent job of hiding that fact. A half assed job but a decent one. “Shall I add psychic to the list of your many talents?”

Castrin laughed. “Yes, yes you should.” he paused and I could tell he was smoking again. “Let me prove my skills right now.”

“Give it a shot.” I encouraged wondering what he was up to.

“All right let me get out my crystal ball right quick.” he took a long drag on his cigarette as I waited in quiet suspense. “You are in the presence of someone right now.” he said and I looked over to Aiden who smiled back at me throwing in a wink for good measure. “You don’t want them to know it’s me you’re talking to.”

Hmm so far he’d been right. Did it hurt his feelings that I didn’t want Aiden to know it was him? I’m sure if he knew it was for the sake of tormenting Aiden he’d have no issue with it. He’d probably even play along. Maybe I could text him to let him know?

Turned out I didn’t need to. “It’s someone who wants you to date superstud Kelson.” he again stressed the ‘superstud’ and I smiled not caring if Aiden was currently making mocking kissy faces at me. “How am I doing so far?”

“I’m surprised you understand me so well.”

I could almost feel his grin through the phone as he chuckled. “All right. So how long you stringing this person along for?”

Aiden pulled into the driveway but didn’t get out of the car as he watched me intently, waiting for me to finish the phone call. “I’m not sure really. It was a spur of the moment thing.”

“How do you want to burst their little bubble my little partner in crime?”

I was surprised he was so willing to help. Anything to lower a supporter of the jockstraps a notch I presumed. “I’m sure I’ll see you around school?”

Castrin took over from there. “Better yet tomorrow morning? In front of school before first bell. Pleanty of onlookers. Unless that’s too largescale for you?”

I chuckled. Oh was he challenging me? Did he think I’d be embarrassed by him? I didn’t really know him so there was no reason to be. I had no friends, no one to upset. Well there was Aiden but he was the one I was planning to upset. “Oh I’d love to but I never get to school on time. You see-“ I started to say.

As expected Aiden jumped in. “We’re heading to school early tomorrow.” he said with an evil grin. I shot him a fake glare as he did, angling the phone so that Castrin could hear that there was a conversation going on. “You’ve finally broke through to me Isa. I’m going to be on time now. You’re such a good influence.” I mouthed ‘I hate you’ at him and he only smirk only grew bigger. “Unless you want to walk I’ll have to drag you in early.”

I continued to hold a glare to him as I hesitated to finish what I’d be saying to ‘Shane’ who I was talking to. Oh would Aiden throw a fit when it was Castrin who greeted me in the morning! I could see it already and upped my upset glare to him in place of smirking. He’d get what was coming to him soon enough that little fail matchmaker.

“I guess I can then.” I told Castrin saying the words slowly as though I didn’t want to. “So I’ll see you tomorrow before school?”

“Sure thing.” he replied. “Oh and Isadora?”

“Yeah?”

“Don’t let any vamps get to ya before I see you.”