54: Bonding Over Books

As we made our way through the book store I felt as though I was simply radiating warmth. Being around Collin didn’t feel awkward like it once had. On the contrary my body felt so at ease I was surprised that I hadn’t known him my entire life. It almost felt as though I had. His smiles felt so familiar and wonderful that they reflected almost instantly on my own face. Unlike at school, while we were in this mall with only the company of each other, Collin was showing his natural personal side; and I loved it,

The way his expression played on his face exited me. I was getting better at reading him. Before I spoke I could almost sense his reaction. My body no longer feared him but embraced him completely to the point it suddenly was yearning for him. I couldn’t even begin to tell you how many times I had to stop myself from giving in to my body and just doing something as simple as touching him. I wanted to feel his skin again, to feel the warmth between us. But I restrained myself which was not as easy as it may sound.

“Water is for drinking not swimming.” I said with a laugh.

“You don’t enjoy swimming?”

I shook my head. “Why bother? All you’re doing is getting wet and if I wanted to do that I’d take a shower.”

He smiled, amused at my statement. “There’s also the relaxation and athletic side to it.”

“If I need exercise I’ll go running.”

“Why run if you’re not going anywhere?” he retorted with a mischievous smile. With as much as we had in common we had a lot of differences as well and we were finding them out one by one. And all of them only seemed to bring me closer to him instead of further.

I shifted my eyes from the book I pulled from the shelf and towards his sparkling ones. “So that when I have somewhere to run to I’ll be able to make the journey.” My lips turned into a triumphant sly smile.

He shook his head slowly smiling back at me. “I suppose that’s true.” he admitted. His eyes shifted to the book in my hand and a small mischievous glint came to his green eyes. “I’ll be right back.”

“All right, I’ll be here.” I nodded and he disappeared behind an aisle of books.

A Saturday afternoon with Collin. I thought happily wanting to forever store the memory in my mind. It was all so perfect. He was so perfect. Collin. My mind hummed. It could never get enough of his name, enough of him. It wanted more and I was glad. I wanted more. I wanted to kiss him again. I wanted to taste him on my lips… No Isa. Stop it. Be mature. I tried to snap myself out of my obsessive thoughts.

I didn’t have to try hard though for suddenlt I had some help. It came in the form of a male’s voice as he asked, “Ah, an Eric Zonnen novel. Are you a fan of his work?”

I turned to look over at the young man who’d spoken to me. “I suppose.” I said with a soft shrug. “I enjoyed his Trailing Eyes Trilogy so I thought I might find some more of his work.”

“Oh? Which side did you root for?”

“I found the Travelers the most likeable.” I admitted. I’d connected to them in the book. The way they never had a house but made everywhere their home seemed to remind me of how I lived. Make the best of nothing and turn it into something.