9: Just A Ride

“You know what?” Mr. Marrs butted in, “I think that is quite enough Mr. Jay. Get back into your vehicle. I will take Ms. Clayson home and put an end to this problem.”

I sighed in relief. “See? Problem fixed. Go away.” I growled at Jake as I clambered into Mr. Marrs pickup truck.

“I’ll be calling you tonight.” Jake called out before getting back into his car.

“So where do you live?” Mr. Marrs asked and I turned in my seat to look at him.

He looked so wonderfully perfect in his white work shirt with the sleeves rolled up and the top few buttons undone. I couldn’t talk for a moment as my mind flashed with thoughts of him. On the other hand my body was stiff and alert as if it was in defense mode. Again.

“On twenty seventh and Blaine. By the IHOP.” I managed to get out.

Mr. Marrs tensed up a little as a cool breeze rolled through the window. I took the hint and pushed the button, raising it back up. “And you planned on walking all that way?”

I nodded. “I’ve done it before when Aiden has ditched me.”

“You and Aiden are close?”

“Yeah. Our moms are best friends.”

He nodded and began to drive. “How long have you known each other?”

“Well we were born minutes apart in Florida which is how our moms became friends.” I answered.

“Florida?”

“Yeah. Our moms moved here to Chicago together beginning of last school year. Aiden and I live in a duplex so we pretty much live together.”

Mr. Marrs nodded again and looked over at me. “Aiden is really comfortable in the high school setting isn’t he? For it only being his second year here he seems very well acquainted with everyone.”

I chuckled. I knew what he was saying. One year here in Chicago and already everyone was all about Aiden. He ran the place and we all knew it. Well, him and his friends but he was definitely one of the two top dogs. “Aiden’s always been like that. We’re the perfect team. He befriends everyone in a ten year age range and I win over the adults.”

Mr. Marrs chuckled. “He sure is. . . . something else.”

“Yeah. He is quite the asshole sometimes but he’s a good kid.” I agreed.

We drove in silence for a while, just listening to the busy outside air.

“I didn’t have time to eat today, was busy grading the tests you took Monday. Do you mind if we stop at the sub shop?” Mr. Marrs asked not glancing over at me.

“No that’s be cool actually. I skipped lunch.”

“Do you need to call your parents? I’m sure they are wondering where you are.” He said offering me his cellphone.

I shook my head. “My mom’s been out of town for weeks now.”

“How about dad?”

“He died before I was born.”

“I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have asked.” Mr. Marrs apologized as he parked in the parking lot.

I shrugged. “It’s fine, can’t miss what you never had.”

We ordered our subs and took our seats across from each other in a window booth.

I suddenly became aware of the fact that every pair of female eyes would look to Mr. Marrs on a regular basis. I slunk a little lower in my seat. People probably thought I was his kid sister. No, I wasn’t pretty enough to be of direct relation. Cousin maybe?

Mr. Marrs and I talked lightly about little things as we ate. Everything was going realitivley smoothly. My body had even calmed down.

He held open the car door me like the gentleman he was as I climbed back into the passenger side of his pickup. I smiled and thanked him. “I still have to pay you back for that lunch.”

Mr. Marrs slowly started to lean in closer and I could see clearly into his seafoam eyes. “There’s no need. . . to. . .” he drifted off his voice a whisper. He didn’t finish his thought as he leaned in a few inches more and his lips met mine.

Electricity flushed through my body and I could feel my cheeks flush. I needed more. I leaned forward pressing my lips more firmly to his.

In what felt like forever my heart only had the opportunity to get out two pumps. Mr Marrs was already ten feet away from me.

“I can’t.” he breathed as he came forward and firmly closed my car door.

I had been rejected. Again.