49: Not So Sealed Lips

“Hey there kiddo.” I looked up as Castin sauntered into the detention room.

“Mr. Paiting you’re late.”

He shrugged and slid into the seat next to me. “At least I showed up.”

As if realizing it was better to not get an argument started Mr.McMaya gave in, shaking his head. “No talking.” he said firmly instead.

Castin opened his mouth to say something but I clamped my hand over his mouth quickly. “Shh.” I breathed quietly as the four other kids in the room gave us mildly amused glances. Last thing I needed was for Castin to get me even more detentions.

I pulled opened up my notebook and wrote across the page. I have to tell you something. Are you okay with writing?

He looked down at my paper as I angled it towards him. I watched as he read it over then nodded.

You have to swear your silence on this subject. I wrote out in the black ink. I need to know I can trust you.

Castin shifted beside me, digging through his pockets. I watched, wondering what he was doing. He promptly pulled out a pen and scrawled: You have my word bitemark. in his tiny scrawling writing.

I nodded and stared down at the paper. I was going to tell him the truth, or at least most of it. I’d tell him a little of what I know. At least this way I’d be able to get it all out before he could respond. I picked the pen back up and began to write.

Mr.Marrs is a vampire. I paused and read my own writing. Straight to the point as always I see. He knows that I know. We’ve actually sat down and talked about it.

Before I could write more Castin pulled the paper towards him. I looked down at the what he wrote. Is he a threat?

No, he wouldn’t hurt me. I looked over to Castin and his eyes asked me if I was sure. I nodded. He knows that you know too.  I glanced back up at him expecting to be scolded for telling but he just gave a little nod. Right now he seems to be open to any questions I have about him. I guess you could say we’re  I paused wondering if I was really going to write what I was thinking. friends.

Castin pulled the paper again and I watched as he wrote quickly. The pen danced across the paper and when he finished he slid it back towards me. Is vampy sinking his teeth into you?

For some reason this made me laugh and my hand shot up to promptly cover my mouth as the other students gave me annoyed glances. I blushed and turned my eyes back down to the paper. No. He hasn’t since that day I made him. That was my fault. I wasn’t very smooth about it as you pointed out. He healed the bite and apologized that he ever did it. I don’t think he’s a danger to anyone here.

Castin picked up his pen and circled where I’d written: healed the bite