22: Calm Before the Storm

I stood in the pouring rain watching as the last car pulled out of the student parking lot. Aiden had honestly just left without me. I knew I wasn’t late getting out. I was in such a rush to leave school I’d even skipped stopping at my locker.

The water soaked deep into my clothes and wind roared through the air tearing at my skin making me shiver uncontrollably. Damn Chicago. I thought bitterly. I would have to live in the windy city of all places. The air was already starting to grow cold for it only being mid-october. “Aiden I hate you.” I hissed into the air before sitting down on the stone bench I’d sat at so smugly earlier. He was mad about the whole stunt I’d pulled and I knew it.

For the fiftieth time I withdrew my phone from my pocket and jammed the on button. As I knew would happen the phone didn’t turn on. It was dead from having not charged it last night and leaving it in Cas’s car the night before. I swore to myself and shoved it back into my soaking jeans. I probably should have started walking home. It was a long walk and the sooner I got started the sooner I’d get in from the rain. I couldn’t make myself move though.

Castrin believed me. He actually thought that Mr.Marrs was a vampire. I leaned my head back and let the rain wash down my face. “Okay Isa. Get a move on.” I coaxed myself as I got to my feet and trudged across the courtyard. My clothes were heavy with how soaked they were and, even though I was freezing, I tore off my million pound sweatshirt and threw it to the ground. “Fuck it.” I growled and kept on going.

I wasn’t any colder since the sweatshirt had been soaked with freezing rain anyways, and at least this way I was free of a few extra pounds. I wrapped my arms angrily around my waist and marched onwards. Of course I had worn heels to school that day. I instantly regretting it. If only I was just in the baggy clothes I used to always wear. Then I could just jog all the way home in my sneakers and jogging pants. But no. I had to go dress all feminine to feel less guilty about being Aiden’s friend.

“Fuck Aiden.” I hissed even though I knew it wasn’t really his fault. I shouldn’t have upset him earlier. I should have charged my phone. I wore the clothes I wore because I actually had started liking them. It wasn’t his fault. I sighed and bent over, removing my heels. Unlike my sweatshirt which I didn’t really care for I liked the heels I held in my hand. So I walked down the street in my socks, soaking wet and freezing cold. I shivered again and held myself tighter.

The sound of a car drawing nearer caused me to grit my teeth. Just what I needed. One of the teachers to see me walking home like this and then talk the next day in the teacher’s lounge about how deprived I was.

“Isadora?”

Mr.Marr’s voice made my head snap towards the sound of his voice in surprise. Sure enough there he was in his deep blue pick up truck with his passenger window open as he leaned across his seats and repeated me name. “Isadora?”

“Oh hey Mr.Marrs.” I responded turning my head back forward as he followed slowly along beside me.

“Get in the truck.” he didn’t even bother being nice about it. He just got straight to the point. I stopped walking and turned to look at him. It was bound to happen sooner or later. My body screamed at me to stop but I had already decided that I may as well get in. It’d be better than the rain. And at least I’d die a little warmer right? Why prolong it? He opened his mouth to command me further but I cut him off.

“I’ll get your seats wet.”

He looked surprised by response. “That’s all right.”

I shrugged and approached his truck and climbed in, buckling my seatbelt which caused my mind to laugh. Like I’d need a seatbelt? I’d probably die soon anyways. I suddenly turned to look at him. Or maybe he had mind erasing powers? “Thanks.” I said to explain why I’d looked at him so suddenly.

He rolled up his window and turned up the heat. I gratefully turned the heating vents torwards me more as my arms wrapped around my sides again to warm myself up. “Where is your coat?”

“I took it off. It got heavy with rain.” I responded lamely.

“And Aiden?”

“Left because he was upset about Cas.”

“And Castin?”

“He didn’t come back once he dropped me off after lunch.”

He nodded slowly. “And Shane?”

I thought grimly of when Mr.Marrs had seen me with Shane in the hallway just after I’d been embarrassed by that girl. “My phone is dead, I couldn’t call him.”   

I waited in suspense for him to say something. Anything. Would he get upset with me? Ask me who I’d told? But he didn’t say anything else. I watched out the window as the familiar street signs passed by. He was taking me home. Was this some sort of joke?