38: The Gentle Care-Taker

My eyes opened slowly and the world around me came into slow focus. “Isadora?” Mr.Marr’s soft voice met my ears. I was safe. I was with Mr.Marrs. I’d done it. A small smile crossed my face as I nodded numbly. “Stay awake Isadora. Can you do that for me?”

“Yes.” I breathed and tried to sit up but couldn’t. My arms gave out and I collapsed back to laying down.

“Don’t move too much.” he cooed and I could feel my hair being moved off of my closed eyes. “Just relax Isadora.”

“Mr.Marrs?”

I could feel his warm hand gently stroke my face. “Yes?”

Even in all the pain that was slowly creeping into my body I found the energy to blush. “Can you call me Isa?” I opened my eyes and looked up into his face. “I like it when you call me Isa.”

He nodded gently. “Of course.”

I looked around slowly, tilting my head to the right then to the left to look up to Mr.Marrs shirt that was covered in dried blood and up into his eyes. “I hate to be cliché, but where am I?”

Even through all his worry he couldn’t help but chuckle at this and shake his head gently. “You’re at my apartment. I carried you back.”

“I’m sorry.”

“For?”

“Making you carry me.” I mumbled and looked away. “And getting you all blood soaked.”

Mr.Marrs groaned. “Isa, you apologize for the most idiotic things.”

I shrugged and was surprised that this action didn’t hurt as much as I’d expected. “It happens.” I said lamely. Silence followed and after a long time I decided to try to sit up again. I braced my arms and slowly eased myself up as Mr.Marrs watched.

“Don’t over exert yourself. I healed you to the best of my abilities but you’ll still be weak for some time. It’s amazing you hadn’t died.”

I nodded grimly. “I think I was possessed.” I grumbled thinking back to what I’d done. I could almost feel the hot blood all over my arm and my eyes shot down to it in panic. But it was clean, perfectly clean. And bare. I followed my eyes up my arm then down my chest to realize I was in nothing but my undergarments. A flush filled my cheeks as I looked away utterly embarrassed.

“I’m sorry it was necessary to heal you.” he apologized sounding equally embarrassed. “I tried not to violate your privacy too much.”

As I tested that I could sit without leaning propped up on my arms I nodded. “It’s fine.” I mumbled. I looked down and pulled my bra a little so that only I look down into it. The blood had soaked through and dried onto my nipple. So he really hadn’t even taken them off then. I realized as I noticed the rest of my body was clean of any blood. I ran my hand up to my slightly damp hair and my eyes widened as a tremor of shakes raked through me.