40: Comfortably Close

I sat a safe distance away beside Mr.Marrs on his couch wrapped up in a blanket as we ate some strawberry oatmeal that he had made while I was getting dressed in a pair of his clothes. The movie we had been watching in silence ended and he looked over to me. “You should get some sleep.” he suggested as he clicked his television off with the sleek black remote.

I nodded. I was unbelievably tired. “Do you ever sleep?” I found myself unable to stop from asking.

He chuckled and nodded. “Yes, I can sleep. I don’t need to as often but it is just as rejuvenating.”

I watched him as he got to his feet and took my bowl from me. As he walked into his kitchen I stretched out across his couch. I had no idea what time it was. All I knew was I was tired and I was safe.

“Isa what are you doing?”

I looked up from where I lay with the blanket half over me on his couch. “Going to sleep.”

Mr.Marrs shook his head. “You’ll sleep in my bed. You need a refreshing sleep and a couch won’t do that for you.”

“I’m not moving.” I grumbled and closed my eyes.

“Come on, get up.” I heard as he approached me and gently tugged on the blanket.

I shook my head. “No, I’m not stealing your bed. Whether you sleep in it or not I don’t care.”

I could hear him sigh as he pulled the blanket off of me. “Get into the room. Now.”

“I can’t hear you. I’m sleeping.” I grumbled.

The sensation of being picked up caused my eyes to shoot open. “Oh my, seems I woke you up.” Mr.Marrs said with a sly smile. He carried me bridal style towards his room. “Stop complaining and just listen to me, all right? I wouldn’t offer if I didn’t mean it.”

I blushed at how glad I was to be so close to him. “Yessir.”

He laid me down in his bed and I felt a depressing sense of loneliness wash through me as he shut off the lights. “Mr.Marrs…”

“Yes?”

“Could you..” I paused and buried my face in the pillow. “Could you maybe stay with me a bit?” I asked not wanting to look at him. “I don’t want to be alone.”

There was a moment of silence as I heard him moving for a bit. My cheeks could have burnt a hole in the pillow with how hot they’d become. “Of course.” his soft voice came and I felt him crawl under the covers on the other side of the bed.

“Thank you.” I breathed and let out a small breath. “You can leave whenever you want.” I added for good measure.

“Good night Isa.”

I closed my eyes and fell asleep to his smooth even breaths. To my surprise I didn’t dream. I didn’t have any nightmares. I slept soundly and peacefully as though nothing could ever touch me. Even my stupid insane body was okay with the sleep. It didn’t stand on guard like it used to sometimes. By the time I woke my heart was working steady and I felt as though I were whole again.