Chapter 9

Arielle

Since we did not have lunch after the funeral, Antonio has ordered pizza for everyone. Everybody was invited at Antonio's uncle place for lunch, when Antonio refused to eat lunch we all came to Leon Mansion.

We are now sitting across a table, it's only the four of us having lunch together and I think this is what my future will look like. Antonio's brother and my brother. Like him, I don't have anyone left by my side except for my loving brother.

Silence is dwelling admist us. It looks like we all want to talk but can't. Several time I have noticed that Antonio wants to utter a word but he remains quiet when he caught me starring him. He shot me a 'what' look and I shake my head to 'nothing.'

"Sorry to interrupt. What's the main reason of calling us over?" Angelo asks, he barely ate a  slice from his pizza.

I am forcing myself to eat in front of Antonio it is more difficult to eat. Taking a last piece from my pizza I keep the past remaining on the plate and gaze at Angelo.

"We need to discuss about my wedding with your sister." Antonio utters before picking his glass of wine from the table. He takes a sip from it then places it back on the table. He smirks at me.

"I know that stopping you will not work. You are the Capo and I respect you. Right now I am the brother of Arielle and i need you to take care of her." Angelo's words sends a warm dagger to my heart.

"She will be safe here. All I need to say is that I will give her anything she needs but I can't fulfill the duty of loving her. If I am clear enough, love is a sign of weakness and every Cosa Nostra family knows it by heart." He says in a cold tone.

"What about when you'll have a kid, will you be able to love the baby?" I ask out of the blue which causes them to glare at me with wide eyes. "I'm just asking." I clear my throat then pick the glass of wine nervously.

"I haven't planned of having kids. So, I don't know." His jaw is sharp, this makes it clear how he feels about kids.

I nod my head in response.

"You are sold to me and you will have to walk on the path which I will lead and don't expect a sweet love story from me because it's never going to happen, at the end we all end up utterly alone." He says.

"What makes you think that love can be cruel."

"Arielle," he sighs. "Life out there is cruel and you can't have any idea when someone can backstab you."

"The day you'll give love a chance..." I gaze at him in order to see if he wants and answer, "you will never disclaim the oath of accepting it."

I don't know why I am trying to make him fall in love—I don't need his fondness for me. What is wrong with me, I am sold to this devil and I should not expect something more than him to torture me.

Antonio stands up and walks away from the dining table and I got his answer to the words I told him. It is clear that he does not want any relationship in the future. He is an embodiment of coldness by whom love can never be flourished. It will be prominent if I don't reckon him to fall in love. What has made him so stubborn about love?

Did he had a past—a dark past which is not allowing him to move further?