Chapter 16

Arielle

The penthouse feels lonely and it’s horrible to think how much I hate the silence, because the only reason it was never silent at home or at night was because of my father and the despicable things he would do to my mother behind closed doors.

Angelo is down the hall and next to my room Riccardo has settled in. He hasn’t said much to me, he’s a dark brooding mass. I can’t help but feel safe, Angelo on the other hand doesn’t. He seems more worried than usual, he’s also wary of Riccardo. Angelo will report to Antonio tomorrow and start his official first day as one of the soldiers of the Outfit. I say a quick prayer for the safety of my brother.

“Arielle,” a voice startles me awake.

The sun is shining through the windows—I must’ve slept through the night.

“You have visitors,” Angelo says.

“Who?” Who could perhaps be visiting me? “Please don’t tell me it’s Antonio.” I don't want him close to me after what happened yesterday.

“They are family.” Angelo half smiles before leaving my room allowing me to quickly get dressed.

I put on a pair of blue jeans and a simple black shirt. I slip into a pair of my white shoes, toss my hair into a messy bun and rush downstairs. The women looks familiar.

“Hey.” Bella and Hazel waves at me.

“Oh. Antonio told me you’d be coming. Wedding dress shopping, right?” My brain feels like it’s in a bike.

“Are you ready? Or we could come back another time,” Hazel points over her shoulder.

“No. No just let me grab a chocolate oat bar and we can head out.” I stuff the oat bar in my purse and ample out the door, that’s when I notice Riccardo is following behind us.

Sensing how annoyed I am, Arabella asks, “Did you not have a bodyguard back in New York?”

“I did, he took me to school and waited there until I was done.”

“That’s all?”

“My father wouldn’t let me leave the house for anything but school. So yeah, that’s all,” I sigh.

“I’m sorry, that sounds horrible. I guess you must love this newfound freedom,” she smiles trying to lighten the mood.

“Freedom? You call an arranged marriage freedom?”

Hazel blinks at me. “yeah. Bella's right. What if your father had given your hand to a jackass who wouldn't give a fuck about you?"

“Damn! I’m marrying a man I don’t even know. What’s worse is he is the Capo!”

“What’s worse? Isn’t that a good thing? He can protect you better than anyone, he’ll give you a lavish life.”

“I’ll be in danger all my life and I don’t care about protecting and lavishness, I want to have a husband who will love me!”

Her eyes brows raise in shock. “People like us do not marry for love,” I suddenly notice the wedding ring on Arabella's finger. “Daughters marry to give their father’s advantage in this life. For some it’s power, their daughters leveling them up in this world. I could be worse, Arielle.”

“All I wanted was to study further.”

“I’m sure Antonio will let you study.”

“And do what with the degree? He won’t let me work. Just like how my father made my mother a housewife.”