I'm Sorry

The bell rings for the end of school.

El
Max landed against the locker, her red hair swaying after her movement. I quickly shut my locker, "Hey."
"You ready?" I looked at her confused, "for what?" She smiled and turned to the ground, "detention...?" I sighed, "yeah, I'm ready." She grabbed my hand and we began to run to the principals office. (It is on the other side of the school.) We walked into his office, "Hi Ladies, take a seat." Soon Max looked down at our intertwined hands and quickly let go, her facial expression began to look sadder. "Today you girls will actually be cleaning a classroom, K8. Come on, I will walk you both there." We both stood and followed him out, Max still looking upset. When we finally got there he let us go, and we both walked into the room, "Max?" She turned around to me, "yeah?" I got closer to her, "what's wrong?" She looked at me, confused, "what do you mean?" I held her, at first she flinched but soon began to calm, "when we were holding hands before," she looked down to our hands, I continued talking, "You quickly let go, then you began to look sad. And, what's wrong?" She looked up to me, her eyes red, as if she was trying to hold back tears, "nothing." Soon one tear came out of her left eye but she didn't wipe it away, "Max, its okay you can tell me anything." She untangled our hands and looked away from me, "we should probably start cleaning." Then she walked to the other side. I need her to know she can talk to me, but Max puts up these walls to stop people from seeing through her. "El?" I turned around to her, she began to walk over to me, "I don't want people to know... to know that... I'm gay, I don't want my family to find out, I don't want Lucas to find out." Tears began streaming down her face. I pulled her into a hug and she whispered in my ear, "I'm sorry." She did nothing wrong.