How Lucky I am

El
I've come to the conclusion that the principal ruins everything, he interrupted us whilst I was talking to Max, then when we were kissing and now again, in the middle of our hug, I'm so lucky to have Max, the warmth of her touch made me feel safe until we heard a knock on the Janitors closet door, making both of us jump, "Girls! You need to be finished in an hour, hurry up." We both pulled away from the hug, I quickly turned around to the shelf and started smiling  like an idiot.

Max
Her back is now turned to me, my cheeks are burning and turning red, I thought she was straight and that I was crazy, I thought she hated me. For the rest of detention we didn't say anything to each other, all I did was smile at the thought of her and when we touched on accident, butterflies filled my stomach.

El
The principal opened the door as it had been an hour, "Oh, you girls did good head back to my office, I'll meet you there." We both pushed past him and began walking together, I looked over at her, "Max?" She turned to look at me and smiled, "yeah?" I didn't realize how complicated this situation is until now, "What do I do with Mike?" Her smile faded.

Max
I didn't even think of that, what is going to happen to Mike? "Um, just, just take your time to break up with him. If you're going to?" She looked up to me confused, "of course I'm going to break up with him, I don't even like him." I felt stupid for asking if she was going to break up with him, "yeah just take your time, we don't have to rush into things you know?" She nodded her head.

El
I didn't want to ask her this but I felt I had to, "I'm sorry for asking this, but... what happened between you and Lucas?" She furrowed her eyebrows in confusion, "how do you know about that?" I knew I shouldn't have asked her, "Yesterday, after detention I went looking for you, I went to Lucas's because, you know. I asked if you were there and he told me you went home and that you two are just friends now."

Max
Shit, I have to tell her now, "My mom told me I couldn't see him anymore because he's.... he's black but... I always wanted to break up with him, I didn't like him like how I like you, I was just waiting for a reason to finally break up with him, one that didn't include the 'I'm gay' part." She nodded her head and grabbed my hand, not looking at me, I've always wanted to hold her hand, do what couples do.

El
I loved holding her hand, it felt better than holding Mike's. We walked the rest of the way to the principals office in silence, not untangling our hands though, this felt so nice. Once we got there we waited a few minutes for him to get here, he let us go and we both separated at the exit door. Now I want to go to school tomorrow, just to see her.