Chapter 25: Combat Class Part 1

Ruby knew Jaune had heart. Hell he trained with Pyrrha almost every day. And she did see him improve. But she knew she was a better fighter than him. Of course, that was when she had her precious Crescent Rose with her. But she didn't expect what would happen next.

Washington began the timer and Jaune and Ruby nodded and began sparring. She charged at Jaune and was about to punch him in the face with a right hook. However much to her surprise he blocked it and grabbed her arm. He then threw ruby over his shoulder and she landed on the ground with a grunt. The two look at the big screen to see a tally mark appear next to Jaune's name.

"Nice takedown Jaune!" Pyrrha said. She took her eyes off her partner, Sage, when she said that. He hits her with a hook and she stumbles back and steps out of the circle. The white ring circle turned red and made a buzzing noise. A tally mark appeared next to Sage's name.

"Eyes on your own match Pyrhha," Washington said.

"Yes sir," the Mistral gladiator said. Meanwhile Jaune was helping Ruby up.

"Are you okay?" Jaune asked his friend.

"I'm fine," Ruby said with a smile. "Where'd you learn that?"

"My oldest sister Erica taught me some basics to hand to hand." Jaune looks at his hands and cracks his knuckles. "Guess it finally paid off huh?"

"Hey I don't get any credit Arc?" Carolina yelled across the arena. Jaune gets a sweat dropped and waved to Carolina.

"And Carolina's been helping me as well." Ruby giggles at the interaction.

"Well it doesn't matter," Ruby said as she pointed at Jaune. "Jaune Arc, in the next spar I will defeat you!" Jaune smirks and he nods his head that he is ready. Ruby gets in her fighting stance and Jaune gets in his stance.

Ruby lets out a yell and tries to kick Jaune in the face. He catches her boot and then crouches down sticking his leg out and sweeping her leg from under her. Ruby lets out another yelp as she hits the ground.

Yang, who was blocking an attack from Neptune pushed Neptune to the side and looked at her little sister. "Ruby! Are you okay?" she asked. She then felt something hit her in the cheek and she stumbled just on the edge of the ring. She regains her balance and stares at Neptune with her eyes that turned red. Neptune gulped.

"If I told you you were the hottest girl I punched would you go easy on me?" Neptune pleaded.

"No," Yang said cracking her neck. Neptune gulped again, waiting for his beating to come.

"Ruby, remember," Washington said, ignoring the yelps of pain Neptune was screaming out. "Use his momentum against him." All of a sudden everyone heard a war cry. Washington turned and saw Damion, another student, charging at him. "Like this!" Damion jumped up and tried to do a flying kick towards Washington.

However Washington grabs Damion's leg and slams him to the ground. Damion let's out a groan as he hit the ground. "Damion, minus five points." Wash takes out his scroll and taps on it. The screen shows Damion with negative five points. "Ouch, better get back to sparring if you don't want to practice hand to hand anymore." Damion stands up and nods his head.

"Yes I suppose so," He said. With that Damion returns to his sparring partner. Washington turns back to Ruby and Jaune.

"Like I said, use their own momentum against them," Washington said. Ruby nods her head and gets ready for round three between her and Jaune.