𝕏𝕏𝕏

"I don't know if I can do this."
Nick says as we stand in front of the room where Nicks brother was hospitalized.

"Nick, you can do this. We're all here with you. I know it seems scary but just imagine he's sleeping."
Debbie said. Nick nodded and took a deep breath. Then he opened the door revealing his brother in a hospital bed wired to different machines.

"Rob."
He says quietly. I walk after him soon getting an even clearer view of what he looked like. It wasn't hard to spot the similarities between the two brothers. Debbie sat on a chair next to Rob and I sat next to her. Nick just stood next to his bed before putting his hand on rob's.
"Please wake up."
Nick whispers which tore my heart into pieces, I hated seeing him like that.

"You know, the doctors are saying he's been making progress, his brain is showing more activity than before."
Debbie says. I look at her and give out a weak smile while nodding. We stayed in his hospital room while Nick and Debbie shared some sweet memories they had with him. He seems like a super nice guy. Two hours later a nurse came into the room.

"Hello, I'm very sorry to interrupt, but unfortunately I will have to ask you guys to leave because visiting hours are over."
We all look at the nurse and nod. Nick and Debbie look at Rob saying their goodbyes. Now all you could hear was the constant beeping sound from the heart monitor. But right before we could leave the room, out of no where the monitor changed it's tone. Our eyes widened realizing what we heard was a flatline. The nurse yelled after doctors while all I could really hear were Debbies instant agonizing screams.

"No! Rob, my son! Doctors, please save him!"
She yells. Nick hugged her and led her out of the room. Doctors and nurses rushed in and tried to revive him.
"Please God help us!"
She screams. I put my arms around her as she hugs me back.

"Breathe Debbie, everything will be fine."
I say. She tries to breath, but the cries took over. The doctor walks out and Debbie quickly stands up.

"Please tell me, he's okay."
She says through tears. The doctor looks down at his papers.

"I'm sorry to tell you miss Mara, but Rob didn't make it."
Debbie started crying even more. Nick put his hands over his face. They hugged and cried into each other's embrace.
"I'm really sorry."
The doctor says putting his hand on her shoulder.

"Thank you, for doing everything you could."
She says. He gives a small smile and nods.

"We will give you privacy, if there's anything you need to know, feel free to ask."
He says as he rubs nicks back and walks away. Dammit, this didn't go as planned. We came home and Debbie went straight to her bedroom. I looked at Nick who was devastated. I walked with him to our bedroom. He walked into the bathroom while I sat on the bed waiting for him to get out. It took him some while.

I decided to open the door where he was standing leaning against the bathroom sink looking himself in the mirror. His eyes were red and he was still breathing heavily. He looked at me as I hugged him from behind. We were silent. I could feel his uneven breathing. My lips came in contact with his skin as I gave him a little kiss on the back. He turned around facing me instead. We looked at each other as he leaned down kissing me.
"I don't know what to do."
He says.

"Shhh Nick, don't think to deep about it just let your feelings out."
I say. He looks up at the ceiling.

"That was my brother."
He starts. I could see the tears forming.
"Chantel, he was such a nice human being. Out of all of us he's been through the most, apart from my mother. Once dad left us, he had to take the dad role. After everything, he never showed weakness, he was always happy and ready to help us when we were in need of it. There was so much left for him to do, so much more happiness for him to share, so many more days we could've spent together laughing at our stupid inside jokes. But no, death caught up."
He then adds. My eyes started watering, but I didn't want him to think he had to comfort me so I put my head on his chest.

"It's not easy Nick, it never will be. Death is a hideous thing. But there wasn't anything we could do about it. You can't really do anything else than try to replay the memories you guys had."
He nods.

"I think I need some rest."
He says as he walks over to the bed. I lay next to him and he hugs me I hug him even tighter, letting him know I'm here for him.