CHAPTER 36

“Manang puwede po ba pakitulungan ako magpack ng mga damit?” Sarah asked her helper as soon as she entered the house. Her eyes are blotchy red from continuous crying.

The maid eyed her with curiosity and worry but did not utter a word. She just nodded at her and helped her ascend the stairs. When they both reach the bedroom, Sarah immediately grabbed her suitcase out of her cabinet and handed it to the maid.

“Sige mam, ako na po bahala. Pahinga po muna kayo.” Manang Nena told her. Sarah nodded and started to walk towards the bed.

“Sige po manang, salamat.” She said and laid herself to bed and silently cried herself out, making sure Manang Nena will not hear her.

She was gripping the pillow tightly as if getting some comfort from it when she heard the door open. She heard footsteps that was about to approach her.

“Manang, labas po muna kayo.” She heard Gerald told Manang Nena. After a while she heard the door lightly closed and heard him, approaching her. She then felt the bed deepened from his weight as he sat at the bed near her side.

Gerald slowly caressed her arm as if getting her attention. Sarah slightly lifted her head from out of the pillow and looked at him with pained and confused eyes.

“Sarah, getting away would not do us any good, let’s talk about this. Please here me out.” Gerald started as he looked at her, his eyes pleading and remorseful.

“I know I am wrong, I did not open up to you completely and I don’t have any excuse for that but please Sarah lets work on this.” He continued. Sarah lifted herself from the bed and sat beside him as she looked at him directly in the eye.

“We’ve rushed on things, Gerald that is why we are in this kind of situation. Have I know the real score between you and Iza we have been able to salvage the hurt and the bitterness she and Jake inflicted on themselves but because of our selfishness and haste we’ve hurt them to the point they took extreme actions to cope up with their pains. I am not justifying their ill actions against us, Gerald. What I am saying is we were so much in love we forgot to think of others that we might hurt. We’ve become too selfish that we’ve caused an innocent life. Yes, it might not be our fault but indirectly we’ve helped in causing it. If I’ve known that you’ve been intimate with her I might have convinced you to deal with her and have closure rather than we took off out of the country and married in haste. It pains me, Gerald it pains me knowing you did not trust my love for you, for you to hide all this from me. It guilt’s me knowing that one innocent child lost his right to live, while here we are, happy and expecting twins. I am a woman Ge, I know how it feels to lose something precious because I am having two of them inside me. I know for a fact that if one of them or both of them will die inside me, I will also lose my sanity and might do what Iza did. I can’t grasped the guilt, the pain and the dishonesty, Gerald that is why I am asking space from you for both of us to regroup ourselves and face things on our own. We need this space Ge, for our marriage, for our own selves. She concluded as a lone tear fall from her eyes.

Gerald looked at her, with fear and pain in his expression. “That is the main reason why I hid all this from you, Sarah. I was too afraid of the fact it might cause you leaving me.” Her husband somberly told her.