CHAPTER 6

As she entered her office she was stunned when she saw Jake seated in one of the chairs in front of her table. “What are you doing here, Jake? Sarah asked him with obvious distaste in her voice. Jake looked at her and calmly announced. “I am pulling you out of here. By this afternoon you will be reporting back at Cuenca’s. Sarah went straight to her seat, sat at it and faced, him. “As far as I know Jake, I am directly reporting to your father. Not you. She coldly retorted back at him. Jake was gravely looking at her. She returned it back with a pointed look. “Gerald is my boss for now, and it is but proper that I will take orders from him and no one else.” She said. “Now, please leave, Jake. I have more important things to finish.” She added and focused her gazed at her laptop screen. Jake, grabbed her wrist tightly. “You will come with me now or I’ll drag you out  of here.” He threatened her. “Leave me alone, Jake don’t make a scene here. Nakakahiya kay Gerald.” She said. Sarah can’t help it and raised her voice at him. Jake was so aggravated by her restraint and forced her out of her seat. “Ano ba, you are hurting me.” Sarah pleaded. Jake was about to pull her out of her office when Gerald saw them.

Gerald went straight to her and pulled her out of Jake’s violent hands and shielded her with his body. “Jake, what are you doing, halika sa opisina lets talk about it. Pero, pare huwag mo naman saktan si Sarah. He told Jake as he shielded Sarah from him. Gerald looked backed at her. “Sarah, go back to your office, I’ll talk to you later. He gently instructed her. Sarah hurriedly slipped back at her office, worried about what will happen between the two best friends. “Kasalan mo ito, Sarah. You put yourself in this situation! Now, what?”She mumbled to herself.

She was fidgeting inside her office when he heard the door banged from outside. She was walking towards the door to checked what happened when he bumped into Gerald. “Gerald, ano nangyari? Si Jake?” Gerald held her face and looked into her eyes. “It’s alright, Sarah. He already left.” He told her. He caressed her cheek with his thumb. “Are you okay? Are you hurt?” He asked her with a worried expression on his face. Sarah lifted her head and looked at him with confuse eyes. “I am okay, Gerald. I am worried about the two of you. I don’t want you to fight over me.” She told him.

Gerald ushered her to her seat and kneeled before her. “I threatened him, Sarah. I told him if he will continue to harass you, I will not hesitate and file a restraining order against him.” She stared at him stunned by his protectiveness over her. A tear flowed from her eyes. Gerald wiped off her tears using his thumb. When she recovered, she looked back at him. “You don’t have to do that, Gerald. I know Jake, he won’t stop until he got what he wants.” Sarah pulled her hand out of his grasped. “Ayaw ko na madamay ka pa, Gerald.” She added.

Gerald shook his head and held on her hand ,again. “No, Sarah, I will protect you, because, I want to.” He told her with determined fire in his eyes. Sarah pushed her chair away from him. Gerald stood up looked at her one last time. “I will protect you, Sarah. Either you like it or not.” He then turned his back at her and marched towards the door. Why, are you doing this, Gerald?” Sarah whispered back at him. Gerald looked backed over his shoulder and directed his eyes to hers. “Don’t ask me, Sarah. Ask your heart.” With that he left her office leaving her confused as ever. 

A week had past, Sarah and Gerald went back to their normal professional relationship. Jake never again, tried to harass or go near Sarah since the incident with Gerald.

Sarah was fixing the morning coffee in the pantry when Gerald suddenly walked in. “Sarah, I need you inside my office in five.”He said to her. Sarah looked at him and nod. “Do you want coffee?” She asked him casually. “Nope, I had one at the condo, I am good.” He said.