CHAPTER 33

Jake’s car was parked across street of the Anderson’s residence. He knows that he needed to talk to Sarah. He was well aware that he owed her an apology and the closure they both needed. He was contemplating on what to say to her. He knows deep inside that he still love her so much but he has to accept that she is already happy. He needed to move on with his life for his own good and sanity. He remembered the day he first realized that they were on a different page after three years of relationship.

Flash Back:

Sarah was on leave that day as she has flu. He entered his father’s office lounge and looked for her as he expected her to be early that morning. He was surprised he did not saw her. He knocked on his older man’s office and asked where she was.

“Hey Pa, why is Sarah still not around?” He asked Juaquin Sr. who was seated on his office chair and flipping on some documents. His father lifted his head from what he was reading and looked at him.

“He called early this morning. She will be out today. She has flu. She told me to tell you. She was calling you early this morning but your mobile was off.” His father casually told him.

Jake thanked his father and went out of his office. They were scheduled for a dinner tonight but he guessed it won’t push through as she was sick.

“My special arrangements will be ruined. Why of all the day, why get sick now? He hissed to himself as he cancelled his dinner reservation and the violinist he hired for that evening.

“It won’t stop me to not execute my plan. The plan is still on, Cuenca. You just have to make some changes.” He whispered to himself as he threw a punch on the air and entered his own office.

He was about to sit on his office chair when his office phone rang. He answered it and sat at the chair.

“Cuenca Jr.” He answered. 

“Jakey, I am sorry, can I  take a rain check for tonight?  I am not feeling well, my cold and fever is getting the best of me.” His girlfriend’s sick voice told him from the other line. Jake smiled upon hearing her calling him with her usual pet name for him; she was fond of calling him that since they started dating.

“It’s okay, hon, just rest well and take your meds. I’ll see if I can visit you tonight at your condo.” He told her.

“I’ll be fine Jakey, huwag ka na lang pumunta baka mahawa ka pa. I’ll be fine. Thanks.” Sarah told him.

“Okay, honey. Rest well and I love you.” He told her. He heard Sarah gasped silently from the other line as he waited for her reply.

“Thanks honey. I’ll text you later.” She finally said after a minute of silence and ended the call. He was quite suspicious already that time. She seems to be elusive to the little words for quite some time already but he just ignored it.  Since they started dating, Sarah seems to be guarded with him that he thought she is just her normal self. 

“It’s just words; Jake what is important is what we feel inside.” Is her normal mantra if ever he asked her about, being so guarded and unexpressive.  It always made him doubt but because he was head over heels in love with her he let it pass.

But that particular phone conversation scared him. She seems too elusive and uptight. He erased the thought and convinced himself that the reason she maybe unmindful of his sweetness was because she was sick and not feeling well.

He went to her condo that night with a hot chicken soup from her favorite Chinese Restaurant, a box of Kleenex and her favorite assorted gummy candies.  Of course he will never forget the surprise, small box  that was inside his pant’s back pocket.