CHAPTER 5

Jake saw Sarah walking towards him. Jake immediately stood up and approached her.  “Sarah, where have you been? I’ve been calling you and texting you! Bakit hindi ka sumasagot?” He asked her with a frustrated voice.

Sarah looked straight at Jake. “Why do I need to report to you my whereabouts, Jake? I don’t think it is your business to meddle with my life.” She told him with a degree of conviction in her voice. By the way what are you doing here at my condo? She added. She did not wait for him to answer her. Sarah turned her back at him and pulled out her house key from her purse and opened her condo’s door. Jake clutched on her forearm and stopped her. She forcefully untangled her arm from his hold and looked back at him. “What is your problem Jake? Tapos na tayo diba? Hanggang ngayon ba hindi mo pa rin matanggap?” She heatedly asked him.

Jake returned her heated stares and said. “Kahit anong iwas mo, Sarah, I won’t stop not until you are back in my life. Remember that.” Jake confidently retorted.

“I am over you, Jake. Kahit ano pa ang gawin mo the fact still remains, I fell out of love with you.” She sadly told him. Jake sharply looked at her, he then tightly clutched her arm again. “Ano ba Jake, nasasaktan ako!” She pleaded at him. Jake did not let go of her instead he forcefully tried to kiss her. Sarah slapped him and used all her strength to move away from him.

Jake loosened his grip on her arm, looked into her eyes and gravely whispered to her. “No one will have you, Sarah. Not even my best friend.”

“Let go of me, Jake or else I’ll call the police.” She resignedly threatened him. Jake looked at her one more time before releasing her. He turned his back at her and left.

Sarah entered her condo still stunned with Jake’s empty threats. “You will never scare me again, Jake. I will not let you.” She whisphered to herself

The next morning, Sarah entered Gerald’s office surprised that he was there already. He was busy talking to someone over the phone. He lifted his head when he heard her enter his office. She gave him a small smile and signaled to him that she will be in her office. He nodded his head and continued his conversation on the phone. She walked towards the door of her office and entered it. She was reviewing her schedule for the day when she heard a knock at the door. Gerald peeped through it and looked at her.

“Come in, Mr. Anderson.” She softly told him. He smiled and entered the room. He went straight to the chair in front of her desk and sat at it. He was intently looking at her silently which made her perturbed .

“Why are you looking at me, that way Gerald?” She asked him confused.

Gerald did not answer her and continued to stare. She was looking at him with questioning eyes. “Would you just sit there and stare at me or would you speak up and tell me what is it you are thinking?” She calmly questioned him.

“How was your night, Sarah? Did you have a good night sleep?” He asked her with a serious looked on his face.

 “You went in here and stared at me just to ask me that. And what's with the serious face?” She asked him wearing a bemused expression.

“Your eye tells me something happened last night, plus, I was calling you last night when I arrived home but your phone was off. I called you in your landline, still no answer.” He asked her worriedly.

Sarah did not answer him instead she focused her eyes on the screen of her laptop computer that was in front of her.

Gerald stood up from his chair, and stood beside her. He lifted her head using his forefinger and urged her to look at him. “What happened, Sarah?” He softly asked her again. Sarah let down her defenses and let her masked emotions from last night, out. There was something with this man that she felt so vulnerable, she thought to herself.  A tear fell from her eyes. “Jake was waiting for me at my doorsteps when I arrived at my unit. He is still begging for me to take him back. When I resisted, he again threatened me.” She told Gerald softly.