Chapter 106: Good Girl

2 years later

Treegap, New Hampshire

--------

"How is Luke?" Ilios asked her sister anxiously, "Any word?" 

"He's still in school," Winnie sighed hanging upside down on her bed a book in hand. "He doesn't want to be. He wants to be with his Father." 

Ilios gave a smile of relief, "At least he's alright." 

"Ilios," Winnie said eagerly snapping the book shut and sitting up. "There's a fair in town tomorrow." 

"Oh?" Ilios said with a small chuckle picking up her knitting. 

"Do you think, now that i'm older-" Winnie started hopefully. 

"Winnie," Ilios said firmly, "You know why you have to stay here. We have the whole yard to play in." 

"Only to the fence for me," Winnie huffed. 

"Winnie please," Ilios reasoned, "You know Mother is frail, the best thing we can do is try our bests to live on her terms. She worries about you, Winnie. You're of little sense sometimes."

"I know," Winnie sighed, "But I've been waiting forever. Forever for August! Forever to turn 11. I just might get Mother to say I can go. Getting out Ilios, even to the woods, happens- well... never!"

"Don't be dramatic," Ilios laughed. "Don't be like me, Winnie." 

"I know," Winnie groaned, "Be good. I am good. I spend all summer wishing for school, and all of school wishing for summer. Can't father oblige to some in-between." 

"Please," Ilios laughed, "By school you mean Fathers Music lessons. Those hardly count as work."

"They're hard!" Winnie said softly, "Music doesn't come easily to me."

"You don't know what the worlds like out there anyway," Ilios said with a shiver, "Especially since the war-"

"But how will I know," Winnie whispered to herself, "Unless I taste it for myself." 

"Ilios!" Erik called from the other room. 

Ilios set her project aside and rose, kissing her little sisters forehead and hurrying from the room. 

"It's like I'm trapped in here," Winnie moaned. "And why did we have to live on Main straight? Could there be a more boring name?" 

She thought of letting some friends in, but Father would forbid it. 

Besides, it wasn't like she had many. 

In realization of a secret she had been keeping, she ran hurriedly to a small wooden box beside her window sill. 

"There you are!" She yelped happily removing the small reptile from the box, "Hello Mr. Toad."

The toad looked up to her in a daze, if he understood anything, it was his captivity. 

He looked and attempted to jump towards the window. 

"Stop it!" Winnie scolded, "Not yet! But you just wait. I will go. Someday. Wait and see."

"Winnie?" Christine called creaking the door open. 

Winnie looked around frantically for somewhere to place the animal but could think of none. In a rush for safety, she shoved the frog into her dress pocket and giggled as its wet skin ticked her leg. 

"Winnie," Christine laughed seeing her daughters startled face. 

"Yes Mother?" Winnie chided.