Chapter 43: Ms. Autumn

Gustave wasn't sure if he was to approach her or not. 

Part of him could not bear to utter a word to her, a single word to apologize for leaving her as he did in Paris. Shooing her off after the fire as if it had all been her fault in the first place. 

Yet another side of him could not bear to watch her morn him in such a way whilst he was alive and breathing, a bit roasted and singed but perfectly fine. 

That's when Gustave saw who was at her side.

Nightmares flooded back, the screams and yells of his mother. How it made his head hurt, it throbbed and pulsed and he felt like it might blow into pieces itself. 

A blonde woman, her hair in the same knot, the same patterning.

 He tripped a bit as sick nausea overcame him and to his horror landed right in front of the pair of Autumn and the other lady.

Autumn stared at him, nearly fainted backwards and began to sob harder. 

The woman laughed cheerily, "Come now my dear, it's just a young man who's had a bit too much to drink. Do not let him upset you too much!"

Autumn shook her head. "It is not a drunkard Ms. Anguire it is Gustave!" 

Gustave's blood ran cold as the woman turned her head towards him. 

Ms. Giry? 

He wouldn't think about it for one more second.

He bolted away from there, as far and as fast as his legs would carry him. Running, running running, from everything every problem. 

Then he stopped, was this always going to be his solution?!

 The solution of a frightened timid young boy. 

No! He was no longer that person who flew away from the thought trouble, he had a responsibility now. Business to finish.

Eli wouldn't have run away. 

Ilios would have fought.

He needed to prove himself. He needed to guarantee their safety. He needed to be worthy of being called their brother. 

He put Autumn and Ms. Giry  out of his mind, he needed to focus on one thing at a time. He slowly gathered and found the boys one by one. 

"Wheres Luke!?" He asked with urgency to each one of them. "Have you seen him?" 

Matthew pointed with a trembling finger when it was his turn to be asked. Luke was being loaded into the ambulance. His head was bleeding pretty bad but nothing fatal. 

Gustave knew that wasn't what Matthew was crying about, Luke didn't have parents. He was gonna be sent to one of those orphanages or boys schools. 

Raoul had sent Gustave to one of those when he was young, he had despised it and looked back upon it as the worst years of his life. And that was a private upper-class school! Imagine what life in a poor boys home would be like. 

Quickly he devised a plan. He scanned the crowd and with nudging and punching made his way to Autumn. He grabbed her hand and pulled her away. 

"Gustave?! What one earth do you even know?! Know what you've put me threw?! I've been trying to find you for months I-"

"Giry?! Meg Giry?!" Gustave asked, his eyes wide with a fear beyond anything he had ever experienced. 

Autumn stuttered over her words, "No Gustave, Ann, Annguire. She's my friend on mis-"

He shushed her, "Good, there isn't time! I'll explain later. My friends in trouble I need your help! You're my wife," 

With that he tossed her a ring.

It had been the one Erik gave him oh so long ago, he kept it in his back pocket always now. It reminded him of his Mother, a promise to get back home to his sister as fast as he could.

She stared at him offended and shocked, "Gustave what in heavens name?!"

"Listen just pretend alright!? Please?! For me?!" He pleased.

She nodded "Fine! But I won't enjoy it!"

Gustave nodded with a sly smile, he knew her eyes said otherwise.

They arrived just in time. The doctor was going around calling out for any parents of this "Luke"  Gustave ran up to him quickly dragging Autumn behind him. 

"We're here! Sorry just with all this confusion and my poor wife's in shock!" Gustave exclaimed.

Autumn faked some tears, "Please sir, tell us, is he alright?!" 

The doctor nodded reassuringly, "He has a minor concussion but he will recover."

Autumn pretended to sigh with relief whereas Gustave's sigh was genuine. If Luke had died he wouldn't have been able to live with himself. 

Luke came out of the room bandage around his head and a drowsy smile on his face. "Hey, Gustave! Who's your girlfriend?" He shouted, "Look at this swell lollipop the gave me! Its gotta be worth at least a halfpence!"

Gustave winced. The doctor would know they weren't really his parents now.

As Gustave braced himself for the wost, he was surprised to be met with instead, a friendly smile

"This can happen, names and things can get confused, he'll recover rather nicely I believe!'' 

Gustave grinned. "We free to go doc?" He asked hopefully.

"Go ahead! I wish you a full and well recovery, young man!" The Doctor laughed. 

As they walked out the front doors Luke looked back and gave a happy cheery wave. 

"Hey, Gustave? Why did you say you two were married back there? Is this that girl you were always blabbing about during my nap time?!" Luke mumbled with the candy in one cheek.

Autumn blushed and chuckled.

"Nah I was talking about this princess I know, her names Rapunzel or something German like that," Gustave smirked. "Or was it a season...Fall or something..."

Autumn blushed even redder.

"No." Luke stated sternly after a moment of thought, "That wasn't it."

Gustave gave a look to Autumn that said it all.

It most certainly had been it.

Luke licked his sticky fingers clean and grinned, still a bit groggy from his medication and head injury. 

"Could I have some chocolates? Would Peter buy me some?" 

Gustave was about to reply with a strict no, that Peter was in a foul mood and not to be trifled with when Autumn's silky kind voice interceded. 

"Of course dear."

Gustave nudged her gently, "Autumn you'll spoil him."

Autumn smiled softly, "Let him have what little joys he can. He won't be young forever."

Luke decided that even for fake ones, he rather liked his new parents. 

He thought, at least to himself, that they made a pretty good team after all. 

Even when the chocolates were gone.