Chapter 10: Nightmares

((We interrupt this fanfiction for a brief reminder to vote if you like what you read XD Thank you all so much! Your comments and support really means the world!))

Gustave woke up in a hot sweat of fear. He hadn't eaten in nearly three days.

He would not answer to his mother's pleas or answer Erik what his past had to do with his health.  In and out of sleep and consciousness Gustave realized he was sick, perhaps even really sick but he didn't dare say a word.

Legend had always said that The ghost attacked when you were weakest. A wolf stalking the flock, going after the smallest and most frail of lambs. Gustave, if he believed the folklore or not wasn't giving him any chances. So many questions built up in his mind. Why did he want him in the first place? Why did his mother love him? Why had he killed those innocent people, was it on accident? 

The boy soon drifted off too sleep but woke in a fit of screams from a nightmare.

Gustave didn't stop screaming until both Christine and Erik appeared in his doorway. Their faces both distraught. Christine had tears in her eyes. A madness had seemed to come over her son. One the same as that which had come over her father in the last days of his life.

So many horrid memories that she never wished to remeber.

Erik rushed to his son aid, trying desperately to calm and restrain him. Gustave wouldn't let him, he pulled away, screaming and kicking.

"Don't do it! Don't hurt me, please! don't!" Gustave screamed at the top of his lungs.

Christine's heart broke. In a breathless horror, she turned away.

"Gustave I'm not going to hurt you stop yelling!" Erik said trying not to lose his patience.

Gustave finally stopped struggling and collapsed onto the bed. His father felt his forehead. He was burning up.

"Gustave, are you feeling alright?" Christine said concernedly.

"Why should you care?" He shot back bitterly. His eyes flashed from his mother to father.

"Because like it or not," Erik said firmly grasping his arm. "I am your father, and we are going to have to make this work."

Gustave shook his head violently, "I could go live with Raoul, he'd take me back gladly."

"Is that really what you want? to go home with Raoul?" Erik asked, his voice emotionless to the point of silent fury.

Gustave sighed and then shook his head. He may have been as stubborn as his father but he was also as submissive as Christine had been in her youth. All present knew Gustave would sooner be alone than return to Raoul.

Gustave coughed and took a drink of water, the liquid burned his throat as he swallowed. Even gathering all his strength, he could barely sit up.

"Gustave...I shall ask you plainly. Are you ill?" Concern flamed and flashed in his eyes.

"Maybe a little bit." Gustave mumbled.

Christine eyebrows raised and Gustave gave a raspy sigh of defeat.

"Maybe a lot a bit.I got under the covers but it was too hot when I came out it was too cold."

His mother was still far too weak to carry him and trek all the way to a doctor on the other side of town. His father couldn't call a doctor, not without having to...kill him. No Doctor could see that mask and not wonder with their ruthless scientific curiosity what lay beneath.

So he'd need someone who could help but was trustworthy and unafraid.

"Erik," Christine shuddered pulling her shawl over her shoulders, "He's so weak. Who can we send for?"

Erik ran stressed, shaking fingers through his hair and then put on his cloak. "It's time I called a favor from an old friend."

"A Doctor?" she asked hopefully.

Erik gave a small smile, "A Persian."

((Hmmm who could that be? Leave your guesses in the comments below woahahhaa))