Chapter 38: Two Girls

"I've got to go," Gustave said solemnly grabbing his coat.

"Why?!" Anabel laughed, "I've only just got back!" 

"Later.  Autumns gone..." he mumbled.

"Who?" Anabel asked.

"I'm a fool. A stupid and blind fool!" Gustave grumbled.

"Who's Autumn!?" Anabel exclaimed grabbing him by the arm and forcing him to face her.

"She was going to be my fiancee! Someday at least I hoped. But my parents, they were going to ask her to stay in the Opera, as a manager to the Ballet. I was going to ask her tonight, and god I'm such an idiot! I've gone and ruined it all. She can't forgive me! What have I done?" Gustave threw a few dollars onto the table.

"Fiancee!" Anabel exclaimed. "Gustave why didn't you mention that the moment you saw me? It's normal behavior, 'Hello old friend, this is my one day WIFE. We could have waited, I was planning to visit you anyway! Gustave you should have waited! What were you thinking?!"

Gustave sighed, "I know! I know I'm a completely brainless rubbish man!" 

"Gustave shes your friend! You don't just go off forget about her and go talk to another girl!" Anabel scoffed grabbing her coat too.

Gustave's brow furrowed, "Why are you getting your coat?!"

"Because now I have to apologize for stealing you!"

Gustave smiled weakly, "Technically you had me first..."

Anabel frowned, "Are you kidding me right now?" 

He raised his eyebrows innocently. "You did." 

She couldn't help but smile, "It is nice to hear your voice again. It is nothing compared to Jean's friendship and adoration."

Gustave stopped and grinned, "You really did miss me then?"

"GO!" she yelled pushing him teasingly out the door.

-----------

Autumn ran down the stairs to the lair. This time carefully watching her step. Erik heard her steps and ran to greet her. 

"Did he ask? Will you stay?"

Christine heard the girls tears and sobs and found Autumn rushing forward into her arms. 

Christines eyes looking to Eriks for clarification.

"What's wrong?!" Erik asked with concern.

Autumn continued crying, she had no words for her pain. Christine's arms comforted her though like the arms of a loving parent she never had. A mother who didn't think of only what she could get from her, but rather what she could do to help. 

"Is it Gustave?!" Erik asked panicked.

She nodded.

Erik took Autumns hand and looked at her with worried eyes, "Is he hurt?!" 

 His face turned cold and hateful, "was it the Dechangy?"

Autumn shook her head. 

"He's left me" she sobbed looking to Christine with pain, "He left me right behind for someone else."

Erik stood there shocked, there must be some mistake. 

Unless...Anabel had come back. 

Curse her.

Erik hugged the girl tight and dried her tears. He was mad at Gustave. Mad for causing this pain. He had been in this position his whole life, the betrayed, the forgotten by a prettier, newer face. He wouldn't let Autumn live the life he had endured. He would set this right. 

----------

Gustave raced down the stairs quicker than Autumn had.

Anabel, followed close behind.

Gustave burst through the gate and stopped. Autumns face was bright red from her tears, and yet she was beautiful to him even when she was sad. The door to the little house not he lake was ajar, as she had left it when she flooded inside. 

Docking the boat and helping Anabel off he hurried to the entrance, his eyes begging forgiveness as she recognized his pretense. 

She turned away from him.

"Why do you turn away from me?" he asked with an awkward laugh clutching his hands together.

"Because I no longer know the man I look upon."

"Not a man," Christine said putting a hand to Autumn's shoulder, "Nothing but a child. He always has been, look at his eyes dear, he means well."

Autumn turned and saw Anabel's own horror at her part in the chaos and Gustaves pleading eyes. 

"Who is she?" Autumn asked slowly, "That you forget all mention of me?"

"A friend," Gustave beamed, "A dearest old friend. You have nothing to dear my darling, she's married."

"Married?" Erik baffled. 

"Well not technically any more Gustave," Anabel blushed. 

"You're not helping my case Ann." Gustave mumbled between closed teeth. 

"I'm sorry," Autumn sighed, standing up and sniffling, "I don't know what came over me, I just-"

"You must love him deeply," Anabel smiled approaching timidly and taking Autumn's hands, "I assure you I've not come to reclaim any old friends, just to see them and rekindle correspondence." 

Autumn felt in awe. Here was this woman before her, mature and beautiful and perfect in every way. How could Gustave leave such an image for someone like herself?

"My teacher," Anabel smiled turning to Erik with a small honest bow. 

Erik gave a defeated sigh and looked approvingly at her, "My student. How are you?"

"I survive, that's all I can ask," Anabel nodded, holding back a few tears. 

Anabel turned and kissed her affectionate friend in gratitude. "Miss Daae, you grow more beautiful every time I see you."

Christine blushed and gave a shake of her head, the years had been good to Anabel, and perhaps even Jean had been for the best. She seemed wiser now, well off and happy. 

"And you?" Anabel laughed looking to the two small figures by the hearth of the fire. "I don't believe I've been introduced."

Gustave eagerly kissed Autumn and though she glared he teased a bit more until a small smile crept across her face. 

With a kiss she gave him permission to join his friend. 

Coming to Anabel's side, and crouching down beside his siblings Gustave took Ilios finger and led her forward. 

"Hello," Anabel cooed happily, "You must be Gustaves Sister, my names Anabel."

"I'm Ilios." The small girl grinned extending a small hand. 

"Eli," Gustave laughed, "Eli say hello to the nice lady."

"Autumn," Eli whispered and ran to his friend, clutching tightly to the end of her gown. 

Autumn gave a small blush of embarrassment and patted the small boys back. 

"It seems all the young Destler men adore you," Anabel laughed with a shrug, "And there's no doubt as to see why."

"I suppose." Autumn thought to herself looking at the two lonely eyes of the boy holding to the hem of her skirt.  "If only I could understand it myself."