Chapter 88: Epiphany

Luke had plans, like any other 17 years old.

It is a truth universally, that a single man in possession of a good job must be in want of some sort of companionship.

And, so as it often has been proven, dancing was a certain step towards falling in love.

He was headed towards a dance at Firmins. 

How he wished he could avoid the whole thing together. But he was desperate to meet people, to make connections.

Luke, thinking of all these things, as soon as his arrival left to enjoy his solitude and thoughts by the fire.

Of course, as it was impossible not to: he soon drew the attention of the room by his fine, tall person, handsome features; as well as the report which was in general circulation within five minutes of his entrance, of his having ten thousand francs a year.

He smiled silently to himself, knowing that all the whispers and giggle were about him. 

He was shy and timid, yet kind-hearted.

He wasn't always so dire and calm but circumstances beyond his control had made him that way. He witnessed much, lost friends, and almost lost it all himself. He wished he could have stayed in the comforting arms of his sister and father, but there comes a time when a young man realizes he has become a burden.

He had felt it the day Mother died, his Fathers heavy mind as he rocked the small bundle of baby in his arms.

Luke had decided then and there to get his education. To make a name for himself in the world and give his Father and iIster so much more than what they were receiving. 

When four of his rooming mates left, convinced that in order to catch the early train they needed sleep, Luke stayed. He had no need for sleep, or so he told himself. Not in a place as beautiful as this.

It wasn't long before Madame Giry approached him. He noticed her hands trembling at the sight of him.

"Pass by at ease madame, I have not come to collect my debts," He mumbled.

He knew full well of the incident with Meg and the many mistakes that had led to his grandmother's pain and sorrows.

She curtsied and then smiled as much as she could muster. "Why do you come alone monsieur? I was sure by now you would have someone with you."

Luke sighed heavily, "A lady's imagination is very rapid; it jumps from admiration to love, and from love to matrimony in a moment. All the while my mind is on nothing but a decent conversation!"

Ms. Giry laughed at this not realizing he was completely serious. 

"And college? How is it?" she asked almost with an air of pity.

"Well, I suppose fine." He shrugged. "I've learned little father hasn't already taught me but my marks are all well. They give the best as always. If you'll excuse me, I have other more pressing matters to attend to."

"Such as dancing monsieur?" She teased.

"You'd do well to remember my place ma'am." He said with a warning eye. "Christine has a discerning tongue that is wise to inform me to dangers."

She looked as though she was about to speak but said nothing.

He left the company of the crackling fire and sought out companionship elsewhere. 

"Peter?" He laughed questioningly as he made out the profile of his friend by the bar. "Peter what are you doing here." 

Peter groaned, "Another Destler. Can't I ever get away from you people?"

Luke laughed curiously and pulled up a seat beside him. "What's wrong? You look as though you've seen a ghost."

He put a franc on the table and gestured the bartender over, "Some wine for my friend." 

Peter waited until the bartender left and leaned closer to his the young man, "A ghost you say? A ghost may be, she did look an apparition in that gown of white. 

"One minute there," he said as he snapped his fingers, "The next one gone!"

"Who?" Luke said, amused by his father's friends strange nonsense. 

"Ilios!" Peter exclaimed, "They won't let me take the child out! It is detrimental to her reputation!" 

Luke shrugged, ordered water and put a hand to Peters' shoulder. "I hate to say it but it's a fact old friend." 

Peter scoffed, "I can't fantom how." 

Luke moved his stool closer to the counter and gave a sigh, "You're not a man of commitment Peter. And women who go out with you, they aren't looking for more than a thrill of a time and some money. And all of Paris knows it." 

"It was one tea," Peter argued taking a large swig of his drink and toying with his wristwatch angrily, "I wasn't taking her to the armory for a dance, or a walk along the Sein. None of that  romantic flinging."

"With Ilios," Luke said with a laugh, "You certainly would. She's one of those women you just can't say no to. She gets her way, sooner or later. There's no use fighting it." 

Peter remained silent and Luke finished off his water. "Listen, what else got you so riled up? I've never seen you so distressed in my whole life. Not since Mother died." 

"They went and put that silly gown I bought her years ago on," Peter said bitterly, "She looked exactly like Lia-"

Peter went pale and he stood up abruptly hitting his stool to the floor with a loud clatter that attracted the attention of many guests. 

"Peter?" Luke laughed, "What is it?" 

"Oh no." He said slowly, rubbing his eyes. "No!"

"Peter?"

"You get away from me!" He said angrilly pointing a fingre at Luke, "All you Destlers. You! You are as bad as your Father coaching me and lecturing me. Well I've had enough. And even though your advice has been right at every turn I would like for once to fail of my own accord. What have you done?" 

"I only said-"

"I know what you said," Peter mumbled putting on his rain jacket. "And I wish you hadn't said it. I wish you hadn't."