Chapter 107: Faster

Winnie raced quickly deeper into the forest. 

"I think I know the way to town," She mumbled to herself, "Father often speaks of it." 

She reached a small interception, two long twisting roads leading off in separate directions. One to the right, the other to the left. 

She stood for some time deep in thought before trekking, rather stupidly straight ahead, on neither path. 

She was tired of complying with rules, 11 years worth. 

Sick of being diffrent and teased by her siblings, she didn't feel like she fit in. 

She couldn't live like this forever. 

She was in the midst of making her way forward when a small stream caught her eye. 

A woman, around the age of 30 stood drawing some water, pacing back and forth nervously. 

Winnie his behind a tree and kept her distance. 

"I should wait," The woman mumbled, "But I've waited so long-" 

Finally, the woman set the small bucket down and took off running to the right. 

At least now Winnie figured she knew the way to town, to the right. 

She continued walking for around three hours, taking in the beauty of the wood. The green gold leaves in the canopy that rustled in the wind and glistened in the bright sunlight. 

She figured now, though she doubted it, she had truly run away. 

Her Father was no idiot, and he would have tracked her down by now, was she supposed to be tracked down. 

"Miss," A voice laughed from behind her, "Pardon me miss but your from these parts are you?" 

Winnie gave a small yelp and stumbled backward, tripping over a rock and landing plump in the stream. 

The older boy laughed furiously and Winnie hadn't the heart to be bitter at such an agreeable person. 

"Let me help you," he cackled reaching out a hand. 

With a mischievous smile, Winnie took his hand, and before the boy could protest, she had dragged him into the small river bed himself. 

"Hey now!" He grinned, "I've got someplace to be!" 

Winnie's face lost all color and she stood up in a frantic hurry, "I'm sorry I didn't mean to! Really I'm sorry!" 

"Calm yourself," The boy said kindly, "I'm only making fun. What's a girl like you so dressed up pretty doing out here." 

"If you don't mind me asking," Winnie said nervously, "Where exactly is...out here." 

The boy squeezed out his thoroughly soaked shirt and put a pondering hand to his chin, "Why I think it's around somewhere, possibly about forty paces from nowhere, and when the suns hot as it is today, a bit nearer to going then gone." 

Winnie stared in confused silence. 

"Must pardon me," he laughed, "I do make fun too often. Your about ten miles from Treegap, four from Ketucket station." 

"Oh!" Winnie exclaimed, she hadn't realized she had gone so far. 

"Can I help you get somewhere miss?" 

Winnie came to a stark realization of her position and fixed her high dress collar and hair. 

"I'm not supposed to talk to strangers," She said bluntly, "My Father says bad things will happen."