Chapter 83: Recovery

"Wade?" Winnie called softly. "Wade I know you're in there." 

No response. 

"Come on! Let's go and play." Winnie begged, "Like we used to. Remember? Me and you? best friends?"

She heard Wade turn the lock on the door closed and gave a heavy sigh. 

"I never see you anymore," She said softly sinking down backward and holding her knees, "It's like you've gone away. What did I do Wade?"

Wade pushed his sister's pleas from his head. He wouldn't let anyone see his face, never again. 

He had made it a whole year, a whole year of torment and pain and horror without even his Mother catching a glimpse of him. 

When he had something to say he told Eli or his Father, they were his sole confidants. 

"Do you want to write some music?" Winnie asked hopefully, "Doesn't have to be music."

"Go away," He stated bitterly with a groan falling onto his bed. 

"Okay." Winnie sighed reluctantly, "Bye." 

A few moments later the tapping came to the door again. 

"Winnie I said get lost!"

"It's me," Erik said. 

Wade made his way begrudgingly to the door and unlocked it. 

Erik handed him his breakfast plate and Wade made his way back to his desk. 

"You have to come out of here," Erik said after a moment's hesitation. 

"I don't want to." 

"Wade-"

Wade turned and flashed his eyes angrily at his Father, fire, and hatred aflame deeply within them. 

"I said," He spat, "I don't want to." 

Erik sighed and put his hands up defensively. "Fine." 

He watched in grief as Wade finished his meal in silence, alone. 

"Elis coming home soon," Erik noted,  "Your Mother is planning a dinner. Ilios went and saw him today."

Wade's small face softened, "How is he?" 

"That horrendous mask is causing him pain but other than that the only injury he suffers is lack of company."

Wade nodded.

"He wishes you'd come to see him-" Erik said raising an eyebrow. 

Wade scoffed, "How could I do that? I can't even go to school now if I wanted to." 

"We could sneak you in, at night, the sewers run underneath-"

"No thank you," Wade said firmly. 

Erik nodded briskly and turned to leave when Wade's voice chided softly across the room. 

"Tell him I miss him?"

Erik smiled, "Of course." 

He shut the door behind him only to be confronted with Winnie's flustered face. 

"How is my little darling today?" He laughed touching the tip of her nose.

She briskly brushed his hand away, "How come he won't let me in?"

"He's hurting darling, he needs time and love that's all." 

Winnie frowned angrily, "How does he expect me to give him love if he won't open the door?"

"We have to keep trying Winnie Foster Destler," Erik smiled, kissing his daughters forehead, "That's all we can do." 

Ilios came racing down the stairs, "How do I look?!" She exclaimed frantically adjusting the white gown. 

"Fine," Erik shrugged. 

"Father really!" Ilios whined, "This is important!" 

"Where are you going?" 

"To see Eli." She grinned, "And after, to the shop. Mother says I'm finally old enough to wear that dress Peter bought me ages ago. I'm to get a proper corset and stockings and Oh what a wonderful day!"

Here she took Winnie in her arms and twirled her about gleefully until the small girl felt dizzy and bleak. 

"I don't recall giving you permission," Erik teased.

"It's my own money, I earned it at school I promise," Ilios said gravely, thinking her Father to suspect her of being selfish, "And I already gave away much of it to help pay for the poorer one's lunches I swear."

"I'm only teasing," Erik chuckled, "Enjoy yourself, dear. Keep your Mothers mind of Eli."

Ilios nodded and rushed to the kitchen. 

"What do you think?" She asked anxiously, tying up her hair with a long blue ribbon. 

"Beautiful," Christine smiled proudly. 

Ilios hugged her Mother, "How I treasure going above. It's so wonderfully busy up there. So many people, so many stories."

She grabbed an apple and her Mother quickly slapped it from her hand. 

"Those are for dinner!" Christine scolded. 

"Just as well," Ilios grinned setting it back down, "Nothing could ruin a day so glorious as this one. when did I last see Eli?"

"Last Thursday dear." Christine chuckled knowingly. 

"Really?" Ilios said looking rather baffled, "I could have sworn it was months ago. And the week before that?"

"Thursday again. Every Thursday for the past 5 weeks." 

"Can I say something wicked?" Ilios said hesitantly with a gleam in her eye. 

"If you must," Christine said warily. 

"I wish Eli would stay in prison."

"Ilios!"

"Course I don't wish he'd stay there. But going out every week, not being stuck down here with grumpy Wade and perfect Winnie, it's wonderful."

"Don't tease your siblings. And control your tongue," Christine scolded. Seeing Ilios shamed looked downward, however, she added, "It is wonderful to taste the fresh air isn't it though?"

Ilios beamed, "How does Father not want to spend every moment outside? How is he so content here below?"

"I suppose it's because he has you." Christine shrugged, she had often wondered the same question herself. She oftentimes found herself going mad if her time below exceeded two or three weeks. 

"Couldn't you have another baby?" Ilios asked eagerly, "Then we'd have an excuse for fresh air."

"Good heavens no," Christine laughed. "Your Father might die."

"But you aren't too old Mother!" Ilios chided, "Oh how wonderful it would be."

"Wonderful until I asked you to watch it," Christine pointed out. 

Ilios nodded in grave reflection, "Yes-Yes, I suppose that's true." 

Christine washed her hands in the sink and as she turned to tell Ilios to fetch her coat she discovered that the girl had allready darted to the door and was waiting there anxiously to leave.

"Allright," She laughed, "I'm coming. I'm coming." 

With that they were off.