Chapter 55: Delusions

1 Month Later

On Freds request, the family returned to New York. Elis condition had worsened to one of mental ruin as the infection spread through his ever cell. 

In walking tormented terrors, Eli had started to think himself responsible for the hauntings of the Opera House those many years ago. 

Under the cover of night, he slipped away from the small secluded apartment of new york city his fever burning a red haze around every sight.

In desperation, he followed the footsteps of his father through Coney island. His Father and brother following close behind. 

The seconds ticked slowly, slower than ever before. Each one in time with the beating of Gustave's heart,

Tick, tick,tick boom.

Tick tick tick Boom.

Running through New York they had been able to trace Eli.

Erik watched sadly as Gustave's hand traced the metal railing. It wouldn't be long before he realized where he was.

"I've been here before," Gustave said his brow furrowed, "I was here and someone was dragging me, and it was cold and..."

Erik nodded solely and looked away, he gave no reply.

Gustave's eyes widened, "This is it, this is the dock, the very same dock."

Erik nodded.

"Please dont come any nearer!" 

Gustave and Erik both turned around, Eli stood on the edge of the pier, a manuscript in hand.

Elis face was black, as if he hadn't seen the light of day in months. The only white parts were the streaks down his face where tears had cleared away the dirt and made their path. 

Gustave put his hands up and turned in a complete circle. 

"I've come unarmed," Erik said slowly, "Per our agreement."

Gustave slowly reached into his back pocket.

Elis eyes watched his every move.

He had gotten better, before the infection overtook his wound spreading throught his body.

He had started having delusional episodes.  

He started believeing he was the Opera Ghost. His small and truthful conscience taking on Eriks guilt and pain from all those years ago.

Madness in illness just as Gustave had experienced oh such a long time past.

"It's not a medicene, just what you asked for." Gustave gulped as he grabbed the small pouch and tossed it to him. "You'll find all information about the fire-" 

Ilios ran up to her Father who held her back forcefully.

"Ilios," Erik said gravley, "Go on home. You're not needed in this."

Ilios eyes stared wide at her brothers faint figure on the edge of the pier. "Eli?!" Her little voice called.

For a second, Gustave thought he saw Elis face spark with understanding, but the haze of the fever quickly over came it.

"Your a fool Ilios." Eli stated.

"What?" She laughed nervously.

"You always were a fool, a fool to follow me here." His eyes were cold, but in them Ilios sensed the delusion, the pain. "Did you really think that I ever wanted a sister?"