Chapter 97: Coming Home

Ilios dashed cheerfully down the hall, tripping over the carpet and spilling her books everywhere. 

"Twice a day now Miss Destler," She heard a mans voice says softly, "It's the best we can do for the pain." 

"I understand." Her mother's voice whispered gravely. 

"Mama?" Ilios laughed watching the gentleman, who she assessed to be Fred leave hurriedly. "Mama, what is the meaning of this?"

Christine sat up quickly from her bed and attempted to dry her eyes. "Ilios," She murmured fixing her blankets, "I didn't know you were home I thought-"

Ilios looked at her pale face and felt her chest tighten, "Are you Ill Mother?" She asked bluntly. 

Christine bit her lip and took her daughters hand, sitting her down beside her. 

"Yes child."

"Very?"

"More so than I would like yes." 

Ilios stared at her Mother dumbfounded, "Does Father know?!"

"No!" Christine sniffled, "And we shan't tell him." 

"Mother-"

"No," Christine laughed teary-eyed, "Your brother will be here in a days time. I'll deal with whatever comes as it does." 

Ilios frowned gravely and held her Mothers hand tightly, "Is it very bad Mother?"

"The pain sometimes," Christine shrugged giving her daughter a sad but comforting smile, "I fear, though I am thankful, it will all be over soon." 

Ilios rose, and though fighting tears felt herself growing sick in spirit and heart, "Don't speak that way. Please don't."

"I want you to know," Christine stated getting slowly out of bed, "That I sent Peter away. I sensed his affection for you but now I see I was mistaken and-"

"Mother," Ilios chuckled sadly shaking her head, "I know."

"Have you?" Christine asked in surprise.

"For quite some time Mother. I'm not quite as reckless as Father believes me." 

Ilios said no more, but her Mothers eyes remained fixed on her as she touched gently the back of the makeup chair she had so often sat at as a little girl. 

"You've grown up so much," Christine said nervously, "Gustave isn't likely to recognize you." 

Ilios gave a small nod, her mind elsewhere. 

"Darling," Christine sighed rising and tightening her bathrobe, "Darling I must know."

Ilios' lips turned up in the smallest curve along their pink edges, "As whatever you want Mother. I haven't the heart to refuse you anything." 

"Do you love Peter?"

Ilios frowned, "No. I think not. But then again, I'm not truly sure what love is. I don't think I've even had a crush before. I'm used to feelings and ideas so big that-"

"Did I do your heart pain by sending him away?" Christine said nervously cutting in. 

Ilios bit her lip, "I missed the company of a dearest oldest friend. But I was not in any way tormented Mother. Do not worry, you have acted admirably for I fear, I had started to feel that perhaps-"

She shook the idea from her head and refused to go on. But with the thought of Peter defending her, punching silly innocent David, her suspicions and doubts began anew.

Could it be possible that her Peter doted on her in that manner?

Certainly not!

Ilios watched as her mother pulled a long blue dress from the closet and began to loosen the strings to put it on. 

"I am glad Gustave comes so soon," Christine said hurriedly, "I worry about your Father." 

"Why?" Ilios said with great concern, "Is he ill as well?" 

"No dear, not in body, but at heart perhaps." Christine said softly, "I woke up this morning and he was pacing about like a madman ging on about expenses and your future and-"

"But certainly Eli will find work Mama," Ilios said earnestly, "He has such a clever mind about him, more than can be said of me. I fear, though I'd hate it terribly, I'll be forced to marry someone for the sake of making myself not a burden."

"Ilios!" Christine started to exclaim trying to be quit to put aside any of those thoughts in her daughters head. "Ilios by no means will you ever-"

"Papas home," Ilios smiled kissing her Mothers cheek hurriedly and running out the door, "I'll fetch him." 

Christine quickly made her way across the room to take her medicine. 

Ilios clattered down the stairs and fixed her dress, untucking it from her boots. 

"Good Morning Father," She smiled as he came in and hung up his coat. 

He turned to face his beaming daughter, who had perfected the art of not letting him see a single sign of exertion on her face. 

He smiled back, but faintly, wearily, the worries of his years set in deep lines across his face and heart. 

He had a sort of habit with her, where he would half open his mouth as if to speak or scold, but finding nothing truly worthy of speech, his lips would linger awkwardly, half a centimeter apart, grasping for anything that might close or open them.

Ilios felt a sick twisted feeling coming up in her stomach. In light of her Mothers recent ailments might it be possible she was beginning to lose her Father too? 

She hoped not. He, even as her Father, was never with many words, never truly opening himself up to any speculation or judgments. 

Little, truly, did she know of why they came to live below, of the world before her years and their blatant cruelty. 

"Gustaves expected by supper," Ilios noted taking her Fathers hat, "Mary has grown so much Papa, she looks just like Mother."

Erik nodded gravely. 

"Father, what is it?" Ilios laughed nervously.

"Nothing dear," Erik sighed, "The world is a strange place, that is all. Perhaps Luke will explain later."

Ilios eyes lit up, "Is Luke coming then?"

Erik gave her a curious glance, "You sound rather excited about it."

Ilios blushed, "Well, I just haven't seen him in some time, that's all."

"I'm sure he'll have plenty of fascinating things for you to learn about," Erik confirmed with a knowing smile. "Where's your Mother?"

"Resting," Ilios said quickly, " Winnie is out fetching groceries, though she does take a rather long time of it." 

"And Wade."

Ilios gave a shake of her head, "Wade is Wade."

Erik nodded, picking up the paper and quickly slipping it into his back pocket before anyone else could see. 

"Right then." Erik smiled, "Are you ready?"

Ilios sighed, "Ready as I'll ever be."