Chapter 49: A Night Out

Ilios ran to the edge of the book and overlooked the crows of dazzling rich women and men.

"Eli!" She called out, rushing back to the doorway again and nearly tripping over her dress. "Eil come and see! The fifth cello is so dreadfully out of tune their trying to drag him out by his trousers!"

Eli checked the lock one more time and jogged up the stairs with ease.

"Quiet!" He scolded putting a finger to his lips.

---------

The rest of the show went by fairly easily, there were no signs of an angry Phantom coming after his missing children, no yelling from box five and no incidents in which his sister found herself in a precarious position.

Until intermission all was silent.

Until intermission, all was right for the Destler Children.

The trouble started when as the house lights turned on and the crowds erupted into the conversation from side to side, Ilios swore she saw a woman she had recognized.

"Eli!" she said enthusiastically, "Who was that girl? Right there, sitting in the third row?"

Eli shrugged, "I don't recognize her."

Ilios strained her eyes, "There!" She exclaimed, "The one with the handsome gentleman and the baby?"
Eli scrunched his nose, there was nothing handsome about being rich and muscular. His father was handsome, he was tall and thin, which showed moderation and a good mind. Who would love someone like a rich man?

He rolled his eyes and heaved a heavy sigh.

Ilios.

Innocent, unburdened, unbiased Ilios.

"I remember!" Ilios shouted loudly, "It's that woman! The one Gustave brought to dinner oh so long ago. How you hated her Eli. I love her, she was always so pretty! Look how she gushes!"

Eli glanced over the banister and spotted the young woman. She did indeed have a beautiful smile, her dress decorated in shimmering gold and the baby in her arms silent as a lamb. Which was, as in Elis opinion, exactly how babies should behave at Opera houses.

"Ana!" Ilios shouted waving her hand nervously over the banister, "Anabel!"

Eli seized her dress in shock his face losing all color, "Ilios stop!"

But it was no use, Ilios climbed up the chair and held tight to the curtian. Her proud, defiant voice much like her fathers, booming across the whole of the auditorium.

She stood, on two small tippy toes, grasping tightly with one hand to the red of the curtains, the other waving as hard as 7-year-old hands are able.

Silence swept the entire crowd, all eyes fixed at the small child, standing freely without any parent in the heights of box five.

"Anabel!" She cried out, "Oh look at me! Do you remember me?!"

Eli grabbed her by the ankle to drag her down and the girl gave out a scream.

"Someone do something for God's sake! Can't anyone see that there's something wrong?!" One woman cried out nervously.

A mad rush of young men kissed their girls and wives and rushed into the Ailes madly pushing each other. Each one seeking the reward for helping some poor innocent child dangling from the precipice of danger.

"Look what you've done!" Eli boomed."

Eli climbed himself to the edge of the Box, standing far above and holding tightly.