Chapter 19: History repeats

Gustave had never known, never felt how much hope one person could have. When he took Anabel hand it was almost as he could feel all that hope. 

All that delight, but he felt different too. He felt happy and excited and wonderful, she was the sun. He could not look directly at her, nor listen to her directly. Her voice was the purest instrument he had ever heard. 

"In sleep he sang to me..."

He had listened to his mother sing this song a million times and yet it was nothing compared to the way Anabel could sing it. He took a deep breath of sweet air and sang his part. Loud, unafraid, unstoppable.

 Perhaps this sudden braveness was because of love, or perhaps it was because of the secret. The secret that it was indeed him behind the mask. He could not tell her, she could never know.

"Sing once again with me..."

Anabel had never sung before in her life. In fact until that moment when Gustave had taken her hand she hadn't even known if she could sing or not. She was sure that this must have been her fathers doing.

 He promised her, he promised her. 

So Anabel sang because her heart told her too. So she sang to the only song she knew by heart. And she meant every last word.

Gustave suddenly felt fear in his heart. What would his father say and do? He had been gone almost 2 months!

 He had left him! Alone and in solitude! who knew the havoc that could have caused?! 

Gustave felt regret and sorrow as deep as his emotions could comprehend those words. But his fascination with Anabel overtook those emotions. 

She stared at him with such wonder, such mystified delight. Gustave could not comprehend the beauty of those eyes, as bright as diamonds, as beautiful as sapphires. Eyes that shined like the stars.

As Gustave pushed off the sides of the channel, the waters gentle ripping around them, she continued staring at the marvels around her. The more she heard the boys voice the more she was mesmerized with it. It captivated her very mind and soul, she was hypnotized, unable to escape from his gaze. 

"Sing for me, my angel of music!"

Gustave looked through the gate. He saw immediately that his parents were not home and sighed with relief. 

So he lived, for now. 

Anabel interpreted Gustaves relief as disappointment. She sang with her fullest force now. To the point where she did not know she was capable of such a sound. 

She hit the note.

The note.

Gustave stepped back, she was in a whole new light, she was perfect.No longer the bratty annoying school girl who had plagued him all these weeks. 

He rattled his brain for what his father did next. In the silence it hit him. 

He would give her a gift. the gift to see the world as he saw it, to see the darkness, to see the music, to see life at its purest.

So he began,

"I have brought you.."

History repeats itself.