Chapter 98: Dinner

"Fetch Eli and we'll start cleaning up." Erik stated.

Ilios nodded and took up her skirts, racing out the front door and searching for her brother.

He stood at the opposite bank and easel in front of him and paintbrush in hand.

The winds had tossed his pitch brown hair every way and it fell in wild strands across his forehead and eyes. 

"Eli!" Ilios called. "Eli you have to come in now."

He didn't seem to bother hearing her, he was too busy painting.

"Eli!" She shouted again.

This time his head sharply turned and he met her own exasperated look with a smile.

He packed up his things and made his way to her. 

"Couldn't move any quicker in your old age?" She teased. 

"Stop it Ilios," He muttered with a laugh, "I'm in no mood."

"Why?" Ilios prided, "What's wrong with you now?"

He gave a shrew little frown and smirked, looking out across the waters and walking quicker. 

"Oh nothing," He sighed, "Just I fear someone has come to take my dear sister away from me at last." 

Ilios eyes lit up at the sight of a letter in Elis' hands. She darted for it but he held it high above her head. 

"You'll have to fight me for it," He grinned. 

"Eli!" She shouted in anger, "Give it!"

Ilios easily knocked the easel from his arms but getting at him was a rather harder, diffrent story. He was broad in the shoulders and any attempt of hers to uppercut and punch his face ended with her being sent backward on her toes in a dizzy horror.

When he had finally had his fun, he smiled softly and handed her the letter. 

Her eyes scanned it frantically, "Oh David," She whispered putting a hand to her mouth. "Eli you knew? You knew all along?"

Eli spoke deftly, "His financial prospect leave something to be desired. But-"

"But?" Ilios asked nervously, turning her eyes upward.

"If you are both willing to wait, I see nothing that should keep you apart." Eli smiled.

Ilios looked down in a melancholy manner and abruptly stopped walking. 

"This is what you wanted?" Eli asked with concern. 

He watched with apparition as his sister nodded gravely and gave a small uncertain smile, "Yes Eli. I thank you for arranging it." 

They began to walk again and Eli felt unsettled guilt of doubt within him. 

"And Peter?"

"Peter," Ilios said in a mad rush, "Has never cared one farthing for me." 

Eli raised an eyebrow but said nothing more. 

"It's happened rather fast hasn't it?" Ilios laughed. 

"If the coming years sway your affections you can have no worries. David cares to much for you to see you suffer."

"He truly loves me then?"

"Yes," Eli chuckled opening the door, "And do you love him?"

"I might," Ilios laughed, "It's quite smaller a feeling that I was expecting. I think I might learn to..."