Chapter 105: Moving

"But I don't want to go to India," Mary screamed, "I won't!"

"Mary!" Gustave shouted, "Come along. I won't ask again!"

"I won't," Mary professed again at the top of her lungs.

"Mary," Peter said sternly, "Your Father and I haven't a choice. We've been assigned there, for the war."

"I hate the war!"

"Don't we all," Peter huffed, "Now Mary be a good girl and come quietly."

"Go quietly and become a secret like my Mother?! No! I won't!"

Gustave gave Peter a furious glance, "Get her into the car before I lose my temper."

Mary collapsed to the floor in a fury, beating the floorboards and chilling Nancy to the bone.

------------

Ilios gently set her fully packed bag down and sank to the floor.

"Hey," Eli said softly sitting beside her, "You alright?"

Ilios quickly stuffed a black and white square photograph into her back pocket and nodded softly.

"David shipped out today."

Eli nodded, "It was for the best he left you on that roof Ilios."

"Don't-" Ilios snapped closing her eyes, "Don't say that."

"He was protecting you. If you got involved and he-"

"I can protect myself," Ilios laughed, "I don't see why all of you are all over me all the time."

"I'm sorry," Eli muttered, "I think we're all a little tense."

"Chloe Dechangy?" Ilios asked slowly, "Is she staying in France?"

"She's going with John and Belle to New England." Eli shrugged.

"That's not far," Ilios commented hopefully searching her brother's anxiety-ridden face.

"It's worlds apart," Eli thought to himself.

"I guess not," he said aloud. "I feel bad for Wade and Winnie. I can get by, I can cover it, the poor kid-"

"Winnie can borrow my high necked dresses from when I was younger," Ilios commented, "And Wade doesn't exactly care for company. "

Eli gave a small smile, "No, I guess he doesn't."

He looked nervously around the small house, "You know we could leave here at any time. And yet, leaving here, it feels-"

"Wrong." Ilios agreed, "I know."

"But its worth it," Eli noted. He wasn't sure if he said it to comfort and assure himself or his sister, "Mothers recovered, for now. To hug her again is worth living anywhere."

"Do you think it will?" Ilios asked nervously wringing her cold hands together. "The consumption? Will it come back."

"I daren't tell Father, neither will Fred." Eli moaned, "But yeah. It usually does."

Ilios sighed and leaned her head on her brother's shoulder, "Don't worry. When we come back, me and David will be married, and you'll all dance at my wedding."

"Even Wade?" Eli chuckled, "That'll be a sight."

"Even Wade," Ilios smiled wiping away a few tears, "Even Wade."

---------

"Wade." Winnie snapped bitterly, "Wade I know you hear me. We're leaving in a bit."

She listened carefully and heard her brother's feet shuffle beneath the door.