Chapter 43:Sunday Clothes

The day was sunny and bright despite the dark clouds which hung over Gustave's life. 

He often had wondered what it would be like to leave the comfort of Paris and go to New York with Autumn. Yet whenever he saw his sisters face such thoughts were banished, and a yearning for the comfort of Paris set in. 

Homesickness though he had never left. 

As he slept above and learned to live in the world into which he had been born, he had dreams of that magical house on the lake under the opera. A place he had come to adore and cherish more than any possession in the world. 

On nights he slept below, visiting home and his family-he dreamed of the great above, under the stars and sky.

He would have to settle someday, he supposed, for somewhere in between. 

He had not seen Raoul again, had not asked him about his grandfather's violin that he wanted now more than ever.

But his sister was growing older, more temperate, and when she turned 6, she had received his blessing to do as he pleased. And she promised, by the time she was ten that perhaps, she would be willing to let him move next door to the small apartment in Rue de La Main. 

Ilios adored their trips above, walking around Paris hand in hand. He didn't want to strand her and yet-

He had decided, with his parent's permission to go oversee the New York account bonds his father had put in place during his time there. If all went well, he was to collect them and return home at the end of the summer.

Ilios had pouted on goodbyes but he assured her, she would be able to stay with him for weeks on end in the apartment on his return. 

He was determined to bring the music wherever he traveled. 

-------

Gustave had spent nearly a month in New York hunting down stocks and galavanting about having a marvelous time. He had also become familiar with his surroundings, the people and buildings greeting him like old friends. 

Peter, on his 16th birthday, suddenly found his bank account open due to new laws and was searching out with great effort for new refined things to do. T

he years had been unkind to Peter Jammes, his parents had died, increasing not only his sorrow but his worthless money. His one younger sister had suffered an accident in a mysterious fire, gone to live with an aunt, and now, the youngest of his brothers had passed away. 

With all loss considered, Peter went on with life as best he knew how. He counted his money, kept a stiff upper lip, and as far as was possible, made no friends. 

What once had been Gustave's place in their friendship as domineering and cross had switched. Gustave tried his hardest, showing him the joys of New York, the fun in life but to no avail. 

The light had disappeared from Peters life, and he wished his money would go with it. 

But for now, they lived in the small flat above the busy New York streets, Gustave writing a letter and having it delivered to the post office by Luke the newsboy every Saturday. His sister writing back every Wednesday and a new photograph of his little family back home every Fifth Thursday, just to show him how Eli had grown.

Luke, the post boy had become a particular favorite of Gustave, though Peter never cared for children anymore, they were loud and smiled far too much for his liking. 

Gustave had immediately noticed Lukes musical ability He first spotted him on a street corner playing an old trumpet. The thing could hardly make a sound yet Luke even at his young age turned even the most poor of noise into music.