Chapter 64: Trouble

"Well," Ilios said finally starting some conversation.

Elizabeth had awoken twenty minutes later with a small smile, yawned and returned to observing her new companions silently.

Ilios felt the need to do something, anything, just stir up some sort of adventure. She couldn't bear all this sitting still.

Eli winced internally as he saw Ilios growing more and more restless, nothing good would ever come of it.

"Do you know why my father wears a mask?" Ilios asked abruptly.

She felt if Elizabeth knew, she might scare her off, and the dreadful girl would never come again.

"Yes, I know." Elizabeth shrugged.

Ilios felt a frustration overtaking her.

Luke couldn't resist, he broke into tearful laughter.

Ilios turned and scolded him frowning.

"I'm sorry," he laughed, "It's just, the pair of you is a sight to behold."

Elizabeth and Ilios looked to each other and frowned neither finding their disappointment very amusing.

"I suppose your father wasn't lying entirely." Ilios sighed, trying to bring up a conversation again. "About it being a rather large cat. Lions are in the cat family."

"That's ridiculous," Elizabeth said raising her voice above a whisper for perhaps the first time. "Lions are from the bear family. My book told me so."

Ilios looked at her stupefied. Who would possibly believe a bear to be related to a lion?!

"It is a cat! My Father told me so." Ilios argued stubbornly.

"Ilios," Luke started recovering from his laughter, "Let it go."

Elizabeth gave a skeptical look. "My book knows much more than your father."

"No, it doesn't! My fathers the smartest man in all of France." Ilios spat back. "My Fathers a genius."

"The book was written in Russia, by real live scientists. Real genius', ones that have been tested. Your Father hasn't been tested, so he isn't a genius."

Eli turned and went back upstairs, it was going to get loud.

"Your wrong!" Ilios whisper shouted standing up in a fury. "You're wrong Liza."

"I'm not!" She shouted back, louder this time. "Lions are bears."

Ilios lost all control, she knocked her cup from the table and stomped her foot into the carpet with a bang.

"Lions are cats and anyone who thinks otherwise are uneducated silly nim-wits who don't understand life in the real world. Stupid! You're so Stupid!"

The shattering cup had alerted Fred back to the room with a start and he stared in wonder as the small girl pushed Elizabeth onto the couch and ran up the stairs two by two as if it were nothing at all.

"What was that then?" Fred exclaimed, dazed and frankly immensely confused.

"She didn't believe me that Lions were bears."

The man rubbed his eyes hazily. "Aren't they cats though?"

Elizabeth gave an angry shout, flew back and buried her head in her pillow.

I think right then she would have rather been eaten by the lion than ever come back to Paris to meet the unsufferable Destler children.