Chapter 36: Arangments

"I liked that." Gustave laughed with a blush.

"Oh yeah?" She teased, " I can do better."

She kissed him again and then they both fell on their backs laughing.

After they had journeyed back to the home, both dripping wet and seeking dry clothes desperately through shivering laughter, Christine had bombarded the with warm towels and concerns. 

When they were warmly situated in the arm chair before the fire, speaking quietly about all the other had missed, Erik approached them awkwardly.

"Gustave I have something for you, would you come here for a moment," he said solemnly.

Gustave searched his face, which as always revealed nothing. He followed his father out of the room sending Autumn a happy grin from the door frame.

Once out of sight,  Erik opened his hand.

Gustave stopped and froze. It sparkled and glimmered in the moonlight- it was perfect.

"You are going to ask aren't you? Someday?" Erik smirked his eyes teasing.

Gustave nodded staring at the ring. "Was that mothers?!" he whispered.

Erik nodded sadly, "She never wore it, gave it back to me, too many painful memories attached to it for us. I think you're its rightful heir. You'll have much better use of it I hope."

Gustave grinned. 

"Thank you." he whispered.

"Theres a house." Erik said with a smile, "Just cross the way, not big or fancy just a nice small house, decent enough. I've owned it for ages, I stayed there when the Opera house burned down. Consider it an engagement present. When you're ready of course when you're of age, and if she agrees to wait. If your willing to wait."

"You're joking!" Gustave laughed.

Erik tossed him the key. "I made a vow Gustave, a vow to god that you would have everything. All I create on this earth, everything I'll ever be worth. I'm making sure I keep that vow."

Gustave nodded and shook his father's hand. " I am not worthy of a bit of your praise."

"You're worthy of much more than you know Gustave. Even you haven't realized your full potential yet. When you do, as I did, I will be waiting here to help."

Gustave nodded. Finally a life of his own. No complications, just his life his decisions.

Gustave put the ring in his pocket, timing, it was all about timing now.

Timing and wording.

--------------

Raoul had searched every last inch of the opera for Gustave, everywhere high and low, nothing. He was starting to believe he had deluded himself into seeing it. Then he heard the news.

That Autumn had eloped with some strange tall handsome rich man from right here at the opera itself. An apparently respectable gentleman of "questionable orgins" nature and intent. Raoul knew Autumn was too nice and timid a girl to elope with a stranger. 

She was logical and not foolish, just as Christine had been. And if Gustave was anything like Erik...his father, then he had a talent for ensnaring the right kind of girl.

When they had told him they expected some sort of up-rage. Fredrick for one was expecting a stern talking too and disinheritance. Instead, Raoul smiled and smoked his pipe.

"Oh really." he had said when Fred timidly relayed the circumstances, "And who do you my friend suppose this striking young fellow was? Where could I find him?"