Chapter 91: Never

Wade looked out across the shore.

 "Eli," He said gruffly, "Your girl's here." 

Eli raised an eyebrow, looking up sharply from his book, "My What?" 

"Chloe Clarice," Wade muttered pointing out the window and then returning to his moping about his room. 

Eli rushed to the wind and gave a small scoff of astonishment

"What are you doing here?" He said excitedly rushing outside and calling across the bay. 

"I had to see you!" She laughed looking at his surprised face. 

He swam across the waters quickly peering upward with eager eyes when he reached her. 

She gave a small laugh and bit her lip taking a small retreat backward. Her eyes were fixed into the ground.  

Eli frowned and felt up, he had forgotten his mask. 

"Sorry," He blushed, "I wasn't expecting you. That darn thing hurts like heck."

"Language!" Clara scolded with a chuckle, 

"Please," Eli mumbled, "After all that you said to me last night?" 

Clara frowned for a second as she processed his words, "I'm sorry? Last night?" 

"I can go back and get it." He chided awkwardly pointing back to the house. 

"No, no- it was just- your wet," She said with a blush, "Your suit is ruined." 

He shrugged nonchalantly, "It's fine, I have extra." 

She smiled sadly when he wasn't looking, knowing full well the economic situation of his family wasn't disclosed in its entirety to the young man.

"Well, if you ever need anything," She shrugged, "You know I'm always-"

"I don't need your Pity," he spat, magically pulling an extra suit from a compartment in the wall, entering a small side room to change. 

"I wasn't insinuating anything," She said in a slightly irritated tone, "You're so quick to think the whole world against you."

Eli finished buttoning his clean shirt and poked his head out. His mop of wet hair dripping down his face.

"The whole world IS against me." 

"I'm not."

Eli fixed his collar and gave a small scoff of disapproval, "You've been many things Clara Dechagy, but never before a liar." 

He entered around the corner and taking his shirt in her fist she looked into his green eyes daringly. 

"You're right," She said angrily, "I've never lied before and I haven't started now."

"You can barely look at me," Eli sneered as Clara's eyes unconsciously drifted from his face. 

"Even if I'm afraid of you," She said fixing her gaze on his eyes, unwilling to compromise her position any further, "Which even if I am in the slightest, I'm not against you Eli. I'm not your enemy." 

"Get off me," He spat pushing her aside 

"I won't!" She laughed, "Come on, let's be friends again." 

"Guys my age can't be friends with girls your age," Eli said firmly fixing some ropes and tossing his wet clothes into the same compartment he had retrieved his dry ones from. "There's a law or something." 

"Eli," Clara  said slowly, "We're the same age." 

"Exactly." Eli laughed shaking his head in pity. "You're an idiot."