Chapter 50: Shot

Erik felt a cold shiver run down his spine as the screams from above the Opera house echoed across the lake.

"Erik-" Christine trembled looking up, "What is that?"

Erik slowly pushed her aside, taking form and cautious steps out the door. His eyes glanced every so slightly to the empty beds in the nursery.

His eyes widened as thoughts started compiling together.

"Christine?" he said sternly, running to his room to grab his coat.

"Yes?" 

"Christine stay here."

"Erik, what's going on?" Christine exclaimed, her heart beating faster than she could ever remember it having done in the past.

Then came the blood-chilling call.

"Father!"

Christine's face twisted into a panic of desperation, pushing Erik aside she ran into the empty nursery.

"Erik whats happened? Where are they!"

Another scream, a woman's this time, shouting his name at the top of her lungs.

Erik grabbed Christine's hand and dragged her out into the cavern forcefully.

"They've taken the boat." he noted irritatedly. How was he supposed to get out? Insolent boy, how was he supposed to help them out of trouble when they gave him no escape from the blasted prison. 

"Christine I'm going to have to loop around. Stay here, I swear on my life, everything will be fine."

Christine broke down in tears nodding and shaking at the knees.

Erik turned to leave but found himself unable. Should some horror, some loss of one of their children taken place, he knew it would shatter them both.

"Christine, keep hope." he said reaffirming her and pulling her into a kiss.

Her eyes thanked him but showed desperation unlike any he had seen in her before.

"Go!" she stated, "Go find them!"

------------

Erik took off running, first to the nursery, to enter the ceiling and then through the never-ending twists and turns.

"Eli!" he yelled. "Ilios?!"

"Curse this dreaded place." Erik spat angrily to himself. What once had been his dream he now dreaded, the paths that had become his familiar friends now betrayed him, leading him further away from his children.

"Ilios?!" his voice boomed again.

Ilios looked up ever so slightly at the mention of her name and pushed Anabel aside.

"Father?" she screamed as loud as her little hoarse voice could manage.

Erik's head turned with a sigh of relief, below the stage, they had to be on the left passage.

Despite Anabel's pleas, Ilios started off limping towards the end of the passage.

"Father?" she cried, "Where are you?"

She was just about to give up and collapse into a lump of broken tears when her father's terrified face appeared on the other end of the corridor.

The two took off running towards each other, embracing in a tight hug that Ilios thought would break her spine.

"Are you alright?!" Erik said looking her up and down, his heart and head growing faint at the sight of red stains across her little white nightgown.