19

Lydia raised her eyebrow as she looked at Sam. She knew very well he was planning something. She looked at the Frog brothers to see them staring intensely at Max.

"Lucy this looks terrific". Max said taking a small bite. Lydia smiled slightly and grabbed her fork. "Well I hope it tastes good". Lucy said a huge smile on her face. Lydia took a bite and it instantly melted in her mouth. She always loved her mother's food and by the sounds of it Max was starting to love it to.

"Oh boy, somebody around here has bad breath". Lucy said. Lydia frowned when the three young boys heads snapped up. She could see them all looking at Max. She shook her head in disbelief. She was sitting beside him and she couldn't smell a thing.

"Nanook will you quit breathing on me?" Lucy asked softly. Sam frowned and muttered. "Nanook get up stairs". He let out a small whine and made his way out. He stopped and looked up at Lydia. She smiled down at him and gently patted his head.

She could see the boy's nodding at each other. "Would you like some parmesan cheese on that?" Sam asked, handing Max the small bowl. Max nodded and answered. "Errr yeah Sam". He smiled as he took the bowl.

They all watched him carefully as she grabbed the spoon, sprinkling the cheese over his dinner. He smiled as Lucy told him it was Sam who grated the it. He took a bite and immediately started to choke.

"Are you alright?" Both Lucy and Lydia asked at the same time, worry was evident in their tones. "No it's not cheese it garlic". He choked out. Lydia frowned and looked at Sam as he shouted. "Bet you hate garlic don't yah".

Max shook his head and answered. "No I like garlic it's just a little much". Lydia shook her head and continued to eat her dinner. Her fingers where crossed hoping they didn't make any more scenes. She was of course wrong.

"Here quick drink some water". Sam said as he literally threw the contents from the glass into his lap. Both Lucy and Max stood up. "Sam what's the matter with you?" Lucy asked wiping Max down.

Lydia looked at her brother, her eyebrow raised as she waited for his answer. "Does it burn?" He asked, ignoring his mom completely. "Burn? What are you nuts? It's freezing". I shook my head in embarrassment.

I watched as the all stood up, frowning as Alan stood over the candles ready to blow them out. All the lights where out. I sighed, wondering what they had come up with now. When the lights had turned back on, Sam was standing in front of Max with a mirror. Max let out a scream as he saw his reflection.

Lydia jumped and glared at Sam. "Sam what has gotten into you tonight?" Lucy asked snatching the mirror away. Max took of his glasses and wiped them before placing them back on his face.

"I think I know what's going on around here". He said. The three boys all looked at each other before asking. "You do?" He nodded his head and placed his hand on Sam's shoulder. "Yeah, I know what your thinking Sam and your wrong. I'm not trying to replace your father. Or to steal your mother away from you. I just want to be your friend that's all". Max sighed and buttoned up his jacked before saying.

"Goodbye Lucy". He walked away. It was quiet in the kitchen before Lucy muttered. "Thanks a lot". She followed Max out.

Lydia shook her head and asked. "What the bell was that about? Are you mental?" Sam sighed and looked at the two Frog brothers for help. In return they just shook there heads.

"He's right, I thought he was trying to steal mom away from us". Lydia sighed and stood up walking over to her younger brother. "Aww come here". She pulled him into a hug and gently rubbed his back. "It's going to be okay". She whispered.

She looked out the window and she could swear she saw those same eyes from the night before. "Lydia". Was the soft mutter that she could hear quite distinctively. It seemed nobody else could.

"How about we go up to the broad walk for a bit?" Lydia asked smiling at the boys. She needed answers and she knew only one person could give them to her.