Chapter 14

Sheryl

I looked at that text for ages, Shane just wouldn't let it go. Constantly sending horrible texts to me like this one:

{I hope u know nobody else is gonna want u, I only gave u a chance cause u look easy.}

I ignored it. He was so childish I don't know what I even saw in him. I sent a good luck text to Krystel since I knew she'd be on her way to the interview now. The past few days hadn't been great, Shane had made me feel so bad about myself. It has really knocked my confidence. I knew I had to get over it but I really took it to heart.

"Sheryl, you alive up there?" Natalie shouted.

She would sometimes come over and keep me company. I went downstairs and she was standing in the hall.

"I'm alive," I smiled.

"That's a relief! So I was sitting at home and fancied a Chinese then I thought of you here all by yourself and felt guilty so I got enough for two. Please tell me you're hungry?" she asked holding up the bag.

"I love you! I was just gonna have toast for dinner. It smells great!" We walked into the kitchen and got some plates and had some dinner. As we ate in silence, Natalie eventually spoke,

"So, how are things with Shane? You two getting on okay?"

"Oh, we broke up. Turns out he's not very nice, he said a few things that got to me actually. It's always so much easier to believe the bad things isn't it?" I said sadly.

"Yeah it is, a guy could tell you a hundred times you're beautiful and you wouldn't believe him, then he tells you one time you're not and you believe him. It's just the way we are. But teenage boys mostly are only after one thing nowadays and they don't care if they hurt you. Please don't take any notice of what silly little boys say. You are beautiful, not only are you gorgeous but you have such a lovely personality. Your dad thinks the world of you and so do I now." She smiled.

"Well, if your own mother doesn't want you in life and doesn't think you're good enough you can't really expect other people to, can you? You care about me because you are with my dad, that's different."

"Just because I'm with your dad doesn't mean I have to care about you. I like you, your mum left but believe me she probably regrets it everyday of her life. I don't have to come around here when your dad's gone. I like to though, I like to know you're okay and spend time with you. You're an amazing girl Sheryl, please don't be upset."

She looked me in the eyes and I felt a lump in my throat. I couldn't help it, I started crying. Natalie gave me a cuddle.

"Aw darling, you need a good cry. Just let it out," Natalie hugged me as I cried. I didn't mean to cry but I couldn't hold it in any longer. "I know what might help this situation," she said drying my tears.

"What's that?" I asked.

"Dirty dancing and ice cream?" she smiled.

"Okay, but I'm not sure how my dad would feel about us dirty dancing," I joked.

"The sense of humours still in tact, I see." She laughed, "Come on, when I feel down watching Mr Swayze always makes me feel better."

"I bet it does," she hit my arm playfully. We cleaned up the kitchen then headed for the couch to watch the movie.

The next morning I was feeling a bit better so I left to go to school. I'm not gonna let an idiot like him make me feel like shit about myself. I saw Jake standing at the coffe machine.

"Morning, gorgeous," I said smiling.

"Morning, you will never believe it but Linda has agreed to go out with me. We have a date tommorow." He grinned.

"That's great news Jake, I knew she'd say yes. I'm happy for you," I said giving him a hug.

I got myself a coffee and drank it quickly before class. Angela was in this class and she kept staring at me. I made sure to stare back at her because I knew she liked it when people were scared of her but I sure as hell wasn't. I couldn't believe Paige just ditched Krystel to be like Angela. She was nothing but a bully.

At lunch I went to the cafeteria and sat with the Krystel and the guys.

"So how'd the interview go?" I asked her, sitting down.

"Hm, it went good. I am going to start next week. Only part time but it's better than nothing," she smiled at me.

"Aww, I'm proud of you, so how are you guys? Did you have a good weekend?"

"Well, Nick got himself a little Internet girlfriend," said Joey.

"Shut up, Joey! She's just a friend. And there's nothing wrong with meeting somebody from the Internet."

"Aw, that's sweet Nick, I think it's nice because that way you really get to know their personality first," I said.

We chatted for a bit until lunch was over. In my last class I sat next to Krystel. We didn't talk much but after class she stopped me.

"Are you working tonight?" she asked grabbing my arm.

"No, I'm off. Why?" I smiled.

"Fancy some company?"

"From you? Oh no, I'm washing hair, thanks anyway," I laughed.

"Don't be so cheeky, you'd miss me if I wasn't around." It was true, I would miss her if she wasn't around.

"Come on then. My dad's back tommorow night so if you wanna stay over, you can." I asked, hoping she'd say yes.

"Yeah, can I just go pick up some clothes first?"

"Of course you can."

We went to Krystel's and she got her her stuff. Natalie called me as we were leaving.

{Hey, just wanted to check if you're okay?}

{Yeah, I'm good thank you. Krystel's gonna stay over tonight.}

{Aw that's good. I'll see you tommorow then.}

{Yeah, and Nat... Thanks for last night.}

{Anytime sweetheart. Have fun, bye.}

{Bye.} I hung up and got in the car.

"Do you get on well with your dad's girlfriend then?" Krystel asked.

"Yeah, I do, she's sweet. It's nice to see my dad happy, too." We got in and I put a pizza in the oven for us. I put the TV on and we sat down.

"So how are you? Is Shane still annoying you?"

"Yeah, he's still texting but I don't care anymore. I'm sorry for being a downer the past few days." I sighed.

"Don't be sorry, I'm just glad you're okay. Don't like seeing you upset. You went quiet on me and I thought you didn't like me anymore," she said and I laughed at her.

"Don't laugh, that's not nice." She pouted.

"I'm sorry, next time I'm upset I won't go quiet with you. I promise okay," I smiled and touched her hand gently and she returned the smile.

"Okay then... Because you're not the only one that's good at giving tlc Sheryl"

"I'll keep that in mind! So are you excited about your new job?" I asked her.

"Yeah, but I'm really nervous, too."

"You'll be fine! Trust me."

We had some dinner and just talked all night. When we finally went to sleep, it was around 1.