Chapter 10

Sheryl

Sitting in my car ready to leave school, I looked over and saw Paige, she was laughing. Then I saw Krystel walking away from her. I got out the car as Krystel headed my way.

"Are you okay, Krys? What's her problem?"

"I'm fine Sheryl, just leave me alone," she snapped and walked off. What the hell was that all about? I got back in the car and drove home but I couldn't stop thinking about Krys. Oh well, I'll text her later. I'm sure she was just pissed at Paige for some reason. I opened the door and heard a bang from the kitchen. Shit, who the hell was that. I grabbed an ornament from the table and tip toed into the kitchen. As I got closer I heard a man talking.

"Okay darling, well I better go, Sheryl will be home soon"

I opened the door.

"Dad?"

He looked at me smiling then noticed the ornament in my hand.

"Were you planning on knocking me out with that? I thought I'd surprise you. Come give your dad a hug."

I gave him a hug, this was a nice surprise. He was cooking some chicken dish. Good because I was starving!

"I have a week off, I know I've been working more than usual recently but I will be having more time off soon. I'm sorry you've been by yourself, sweetheart. I'm glad you've made some friends though," he started plating up the food so I sat down at the table.

"Okay that's great, thanks." I started eating like I hadn't eaten in months and dad laughed. "So dad, who is this darling?" I smiled at him.

He just stared at me for a minute, probably making up a lie to tell me or something. "That was an old friend. We just got back in touch. Her name is Natalie. She's nice, you will like her," he said scrolling through his phone. He then passed it to me and there was a picture of a woman on the display. I studied it with interest. She looked nice. Long blonde hair, blue eyes and very pretty.

"Very pretty, is she your new girlfriend then?" I asked not sounding too happy about it.

"Well, she keeps me company while I'm on the road. She's interested in my life and we get on really well. We are meeting up tommorow for lunch. Are you okay with that?" he asked looking like a nervous little school boy. My dad was 40, he looked younger though. I laughed at him.

"Dad, you don't have to ask for my permission. It's your life. It's good you have someone to accompany you," I got up and started to tidy up. My dad stood up and helped.

"Do you fancy watching a movie?"

"Yeah sure, just let me get changed and stuff. I won't be long," I said walking upstairs. I quickly got changed and went downstairs. We watched TV for a bit and talked about school and stuff until I started getting tired.

"I'm gonna hit the hay dad, can't keep my eyes opened," I yawned.

"Okay sweetie. Sleep well, see you in the morning kiddo," I gave him a kiss and headed upstairs. I got into bed and checked my phone. Nothing. Should I text Krystel? I thought she would have texted me. I haven't done anything wrong.

I must have been very tired because when I woke in the morning my phone was still in my hand. I laughed to myself. I got up, showered and got dressed. Having run downstairs, I had some breakfast with dad.

"Are you nervous about today? The big date?"

"Hm, a little, but I'm sure it'll be fine," he said smiling.

"Of course it will. Well I'm off so good luck," I patted him on the head as I walked out.

"Thanks and bye, sweetie," he shouted behind me.

That day at school went by very slowly. I sat with Jake at lunch and we were talking about the girl in chess club he liked. I saw Krystel a couple of times but she didn't talk to me so I didn't bother talking either. I convinced Jake to talk to Linda (the girl he liked) he said he'd report back to me. I couldn't help but laugh at that.

As soon as the bell rang I was out of there. I practically ran out the door and drove home. My dad wasn't home yet. The date must be going well, I thought. I quickly got changed and went out again. I visited a nearby cafe and ordered some food. I didn't mind eating out alone. When I had finished I went up to the counter to pay and noticed a sign 'help wanted'.

"Thank you," the woman said politely as I handed her my money.

"No problem, are you still looking for help?" I asked smiling. The woman studied me.

"Yeah, do you have any experience?" she asked.

"Honestly? No, I don't. But I'm a fast learner and I'll do a trial week for free so you can make your mind up. You can't say fairer than that really can you?" I grinned at her.

"Well, no I can't. Okay you start tommorow at 6.30pm."

"Thanks so much! I'll see you tommorow." I turned to leave.

"Excuse me!" she shouted. I spun around.

"Yeah?"

"Can I know your name?" she asked.

"Oh sorry, it's Sheryl," I said quietly.

"See you tommorow, Sheryl."

When I got back I heard my dad in the front room. He shouted through.

"Sheryl is that you, come through" I heard a woman's voice. "Sheryl this is Natalie, Natalie this is Sheryl, my daughter," she came towards me and shook my hand.

"It's nice to meet you Sheryl, your dad's told me all about you."

"Don't believe everything you hear," I joked. "Take it the date went well then." I laughed. Natalie looked nicer in person. Her eyes were so nice, she must of been in her thirties.

"Well, I thought it would be nice if you guys met each other."

"Oh I got a job, waitressing in a cafe. I am going to start tommorow."

"Well done, that are great news," my dad praised me grinning happily.

"I hope you guys don't mind but I'm pretty tired so I'm just gonna head upstairs." Dad nodded and hugged me.

"No probs, goodnight sweetie."

"Goodnight dad, night Natalie," I said leaving.

"Goodnight Sheryl and well done on the job," said Natalie.

"Thank you," I smiled.

Upstairs I jumped in a quick shower and got ready for bed. Grabbing my phone I got under the covers. I decided to text Krystel.

{Hey Krys, have I done something to upset u? I miss u! Hope ur ok xx}

I fell asleep waiting for a reply.