Repressed Feelings

My heart stops. I'm pretty sure it stops for at least a second before going back to normal.

It is one of two things. Either I am now definitely crazy, as in I've completely lost my mind, either Tiffany did actually, for real, answer the phone. 

"Hello?"

Her voice reaches me again. This time, she seems more worried than hesitant. With the phone stuck to my ear, I uncover myself, allowing my eyes to see the light again. I slowly sit up and realize how uncomfortable I am in my coat. 

"Shasha?"

My throat feels very dry, and I wonder why. Then I remember that a few seconds ago I was crying, but I've forgotten why I cried, why I called. 

"Where are you?" I ask. 

Her answer gives me the shock of my life. But I don't dwell on it, the most important thing for me right now is to see her in flesh and blood. I jump out of the bed and run out of the house as if she gave me only a few minutes to reach her before she evaporates again. 

When we were still toddlers one of our favorite games to play was hide and seek. She had always been good at it, too good. I remember the day I cried my eyes out because after an hour of searching I was not able to find her. So, I gave up and stood in the middle of the living room shouting her name, and begging her to come out. 

"I don't want to play again," I cried. "Titi! Titi!"

She rushed to me out of, I still don't know where, and took me in her arms, where I continued to wail. That was the last day we played hide and seek. Since then, I never agreed to play, no matter how many times she asked. 

Standing at the doorstep of her house, I take a moment to pull myself together and catch my breath. The situation feels too unreal. It's been over a month since she disappeared out of the blue. 

I press the bell and immediately the door opens. Sam stands in front of me, his head slightly bowed. 

"I'm sorry Miss Shannon," he says, barely able to make eye contact with me. "You know I would have told you, but-"  

"Where is she?" I cut him off, not caring about accepting his apology in order to make him feel less guilty.

Without another word, he lets me in. My feet lead me to the living room where I see my friend in the middle of it, walk back and forth nervously, as she twirls her long black hair around her finger. It's tied loosely in a low pony tail, she's wearing her favorite black jogging and a plain grey t-shirt. But most importantly, she's not a ghost, neither is she an illusion. 

"All this time...," my voice makes her stop and she slowly turns to me. "All this time... This is where you were?"

I'm not able to figure out if I'm angry at her for disappearing, or if I'm sad she didn't come to me, or if I'm simply happy to see her cute face again. 

"Sh-Shasha... I mean um... Shannon... uh... I can explain."

I suddenly feel light. It's like a huge burden has just been removed from my shoulders. It had been crushing me for a while, so I guess I got used to it. But now, seeing Tiffany in front of me, alive and healthy, that weight is gone. 

I spread my arms wide open as a huge grin appears on my face.

"Just come here."

I don't need to tell her twice. She jumps on me, wrapping her arms around my neck and her legs around my waist, and we fall on the sofa as I lose my balance. We burst into laughter as I bury my face in her hair and I feel her do the same.