I Hate You - I Love You

I found out about Quincey and Tiffany that same day, when I went to her house to wait for her after keeping Quincey's note in a safe place. Louise and I were talking casually and the conversation led to him.

"He is quite unique," Louise said as we sat on the sofa watching TV.

"He sure is," I smiled.

"Are you guys getting along well?" She asked.

"Very well," I nodded.

"Good, that's good. It's better for Tiffany if Quincey and you can get along since she spends a lot of time with him."

"Yeah..." I thought about how Tiffany had been sneaking behind my back to hang out with Quincey before finally presenting him to me. "Why does she spend so much time with him by the way?"

"Hmm?" Louise looked disconcerted by my question. "Um... They have a thing, well... I mean, a special... relationship."

"Huh?"

"Oh it's nothing," she patted my head. "You'll always be Tiffany's favorite."

I forced a smile on my face trying to act natural.

"A special relationship," I muttered, then let out a sigh. "I knew it."

That was the moment just like I did with Miss Owen, I decided to cut all ties with Quincey. 

I had noticed the seed of jealousy planted in me earlier when Quincey rushed to Tiffany, the urge I felt to pull him back to me. I was faced with two options, preserving my friendship with Tiffany or giving in to my growing feelings for Quincey. These two desires were woven in me. However, my desire to see Tiffany happy was stronger so I decided to let go of my feelings. 

 It was crystal clear, yet I didn't see it. I refused to see it until Louise voiced it. Of course they have a "special relationship", why else would Tiffany be so obsessed with him?  

Louise's words echoed again and again in my head "a special relationship". It became more clear to me as the days went by. Tiffany seemed quite affected by Quincey's absence, so my suspicions grew. The last drop of confirmation fell when I found a letter in her room one evening, in which she basically told him how much she missed him and that she realized during his absence that he had become very important to her. She sent it to him the next morning. 

No other guy in her life has the position that Quincey has in her heart. 

I didn't bat an eye when I decided to forget all about him. I locked up the fanatic Shannon that was giddy with excitement anytime he was near and couldn't help but falter at anything he did. There were so many times when she tried to escape from her cage, but I held strong. I fought every feeling with all my might, I ignored the dizziness I felt from every accidental touch or smile from Quincey. I tried my best to be indifferent to him through out the years, or at the very least to fake it.

He doesn't always make things easy for me though. Like last summer, a little after school ended. We were at Lorenzo's, and for about six intense seconds we shared a moment that never should have happened. The very next day, the obnoxious idiot asked Tiffany to go to a concert with him. So, the giddy Shannon consumed with jealousy, escaped from her cage for a moment and did something she shouldn't have, manipulating Tiffany because she didn't want them to be together.  

Apart for that incident, for the last six years I've been good. I did well, I know I did well. It has been hard, but I tried, I gave it my all, hoping that one day all the feelings would disappear but they only grew stronger. I wished so much to be freed from them even for a day, just for a little while, but it never happened.