Shattered Heart

Of course I didn't answer Quincey's text. It was a conversation that was never meant to happen to begin with.

I set out to look for Tiffany as I presumed they had finished eating. I found her talking to Quincey outside of the canteen, in the area people usually gather for snacks or coffee.

"It's not like that with Shannon," is what I heard Quincey say, just as I was about to approach them.

They were sitting face to face, he was leaning towards her with his elbows on the table as she had her arms crossed. Immediately I heard my name, I hid behind the vending machine.

"Really?" Tiffany retorted.

"Yeah," he answered with a comforting voice. "I assure you, I don't see Shannon that way."

I stood there unable to move.

"Are you just saying that because you know that's what I want to hear?"

"No," Quincey quickly replied. "I'm saying it because it's the truth. I mean... sometimes I may have...," he trailed off then sighed.

"You may have what?"

"No, actually... To be honest, I've never felt that way about her."

I bit my lower lip, trying to ignore the sting in my heart. His suave low voice whispered in my ear again: "It's different when it's you Shannon."  I was still unable to understand his words, what he meant by it, why he said it. Maybe it meant nothing, but still those words weighed on me. I couldn't get them out of my mind. 

Stop, I shook my head. What are you thinking? Erase. Erase. Erase. 

"I see," I heard Tiffany say. "So how do you feel about her then?" She pushed for more.

Quincey didn't answer. I rested my back on the machine, as I felt very uneasy.

"You barely ate earlier," Tiffany pressed on, "and I saw you glancing at the door every five seconds, waiting for her to walk in."

"Me?"

"Yes."

"Hardly."

"You were waiting for her."

"I wasn't."

"You were gloomy because she wasn't next to you."

"That's not true!"

"I saw the look in your eyes Quince." 

"What look?!"

What look? I repeated the question to myself.

"Quince."

I heard the noise of a chair indicating someone standing up briskly. I put my bet on Quincey.

"Tiff, that's enough."

"Nuh-uh," she didn't listen, holding her ground against Quincey, which was not in her habit.

"Don't go there," he urged her.

"I will," I heard the sound of another chair being slowly pulled back, Tiffany had gotten up as well.

"Let's not do this," Quincey suggested.

"Why?"

"I don't want to have this conversation."

"I'm just going to say it."

"Tiffany."

"You like Shannon."

I gasped, placing my two hands on my mouth. I felt my heart drop as if I was falling from a skyscraper.

"You like her," Tiffany insisted, "don't you?"