Bad News

I miss you Shasha, I miss you so much.

For the pain I saw in your eyes, for the anger that made your body tremble, for your broken heart, and for the many tears you've probably shed, I truly am sorry. Please forgive me...

It is common knowledge that there are at least two sides to one story. As an Icelandic proverb says: "A story is only half told if there is only one side presented." Unfortunately, as she has now labeled me a traitor, Shasha will never in a million years give me a chance to tell mine. I know her like the back of my hand.

That's why I believe what I'm about to do will help appease her resentment towards me. Even though mum might never forgive me, I'll still take the risk in order to regain Shasha's trust, because actions speak better than words. I know just saying sorry will never be enough. So I'm ready to make this much of a sacrifice. For her.

First of all, before I go further into the details of what happened, right here and now, I have to state that there is one thing the people around me hold true: Quincey and Shannon hate each other.

It's a statement of fact. Quincey and Shasha are like cat and dog. They can not stay together in one room without bickering. When I'm with Shasha we can talk about anything except Quincey. For some reason, he can not be mentioned. She gets annoyed when I talk about him. No matter how banal what I say is. Just talking about how well he did during our boxing sessions for example, sets her off.

"How many times do I have to tell you that I don't want to hear it?" She would groan. "Keep it to yourself."

When I'm with Quincey, same thing. I love the both of them dearly, but if you don't know your way around it, they are both extremely difficult to handle, even more so when they are together. So I had given up on trying to make them get along. It was hopeless, until very recently, just before summer break.

Not too long ago, before Shasha was taken away to her aunt's place, because of the divorce, for the first time a glimpse of hope appeared. Then I had this insane crazy thought: maybe, just maybe, they didn't really abhor each other, and it's actually the contrary. It was after the ticket incident, when I had chosen to spend time with Shasha, instead of going to the concert with Quincey. He is very important to me, but no matter the situation I would always choose Shasha before anyone else.

Neither of them talked to me about what happened exactly, but I knew they fought, and that it was more serious than the other times. It hurts me anytime I see them get into a heated fight. But it had never been to the point of them not talking to each other. Yet, that's when the glimpse of hope appeared, on the last day of school just as we were about to leave through the gates.

I caught Shasha unawares as she stared at Quincey who was once again being monopolized by Zane. She had her head slightly tilted to the side as she let out a silent long sigh. She looked sad, even though her eyes were on him, she looked like she missed him. This is just my interpretation of course, but I'm pretty sure I'm right about that. I don't think she realized how much she looked at him that day. At first I was a little confused, maybe I saw wrong.

Then when she looked away, it was Quincey's turn to gawk at her. Once again, just my interpretation, but his gaze on her was more intense, impatient, like a drug addict that didn't get his doze, but is looking at the drug right in front of him, yet he can't have it.

I know it seems like nothing, after all they just looked at each other. But there was something there. Something that I hadn't seen before. That's when I started thinking, 'What if...'