Number One

Later on, at lunch, something unbelievable happened. Quincey joined us and not only that, he had made up with Shasha. He smiled so much, at a point it was almost creeping me out, as I wondered if he had not been possessed by something.

However, it only lasted a short while because everything was ruined as soon as Kathy showed up spouting nonsense. I mean even if Shasha made the mistake of joking around, telling her that Quincey liked her, or even loved her, shouldn't Kathy have enough sense not to believe it? I'm not saying Shasha didn't do anything wrong, it's just that I can't help but imagine what could have been if Kathy hadn't bugged us.

Anyway, that was the beginning of Quincey and Shasha's two suffocating weeks of silence. Not only did they not talk to each other, I could hardly get them to talk to me.

"I guess this means I still can't see you during lunch break," Orson said. We had bumped into each other in the corridor. It had only been two weeks since school started, yet it felt like months.

"I'm sorry," I answered. "I still haven't got the chance to talk to her, she barely listens to anything I say."

"Yeah, she's been spacing out a lot."

"Exactly."

"Hey," he took a step closer to me, "are you OK?"

"Me?"

"Yeah, you're like a child with divorced parents, torn between the two. Which side are you going to pick?"

"I'm always on Shasha's side no matter what."

"She's a lucky girl," he chuckled. "Don't worry, they'll eventually snap out of it."

"I hope so. I'm really sorry it's taking so long."

"Tiffany I'm fine. I already told you, I'm a patient guy."

He purposely brushed my fingers as he passed by me, and I didn't refrain the smile that rushed to my face.

That evening I received a text from Mandy telling me that something strange happened around the Lounge. I wondered why she was telling me that because I'm not one to gossip, and she knows. She called as it was apparently too much to explain via text.

"Trust me," she said, "you want to know about this."

"What is it?"

"First of all, I'm really sorry I'm the one who tells you, but I can't keep it in."

"What?" I was becoming curious.

"OK, I'm just getting back home, but I still can't get over it. I saw, actually a lot of other people saw, Quincey and Shannon all over each other."

"Huh?!"

"You heard me right, Quincey and Shannon. They were being lovey-dovey at the Lounge."

"No way!" I ran to mum who was cooking in the kitchen, and I put the phone on speaker as I placed it on the table.

"Oh yes," Mandy continued. "She was laughing to everything he said, acting like no one was around. I personally had never seen Quincey like that."

"Like what? Like what?"

"Well, because she lured him so much, he became touchy, caressing her hair, face, resting on her legs, whispering in her ear. She was openly flirting with him, rubbing her hand on his cheek and all."

"Oh my goodness..."

"I know, ugh! She kept teasing him, hugging him tightly for an eternity, keeping him to herself. Who does she think she is? She doesn't own him. She was basically throwing herself at him. I mean it was-"