Please Step Down

In 1974, Dolly Parton wrote a song that has become iconic in country music. It's very simply called: "Jolene''. It has been ranked 217 in the list of the 500 Greatest songs of all time. In the song, a woman begs Jolene, who is apparently some kind of beauty goddess, to not steal her man away. 

"Jolene, I'm begging of you please don't take my man...

You could have your choice of men,

But I could never love again, he's the only one for me Jolene.

I had to have this talk with you, my happiness depends on you,

And whatever you decide to do Jolene."

I never understood why the song is so popular. I was never able to relate, all that comes to my mind when I hear the song is how pathetic the woman is. Just move on. If this Jolene is able to steal your man from you, he was never yours to begin with. 

Yet, here I am taking in deep breaths in front of the school gates ready to confront my Jolene. Ready just like the woman in the song, to beg as much and as long as it takes. Fully conscious that from this point on, my happiness depends on her. 

Indeed, even if I sometimes dream, I remain a realist. I know that as long as she's around, he will not choose me. He will never choose me over her. I will never be on the same level as her, because in his eyes, she's the perfect angel. 

I can not compete with Tiffany for Quincey's heart. But I want it. If she could just step away, if she could just disappear even for a little while. If she could just let me have him-

I'm not able to finish my train of thought as I find myself falling to floor because someone bumps into me. 

"Sorry, sorry," a girl says with a croaky voice. "I didn't see you."

I pull myself together, fortunately I didn't fall flat on the ground I managed to crouch. I see that some of her things fell on the floor as well as her scarf. 

"That's OK," I help her pick them up, but I notice a red mark on her wrist like something or rather someone had held it way too tight. When I look up, I'm surprised to see who it is. "Kathy?"

"Huh?" She looks a little lost. "Oh, Shannon, it's you."

We both get up, and I can't look away from her neck. There are light purple marks of what looks like fingers that were recently wrapped around it. If I didn't know any better I'd think someone tried to strangle her. But that can't be the case. It can't be... 

She notices what I'm looking at, and quickly covers up with her scarf. She snatches her things from me and walks away briskly looking at the ground like she's ashamed of something. 

"What was that?" I mutter to myself. "There's no way-"

No, no, I shake the concern off as I finally walk through the gates. Not my business. I have my own things to take care of. 

I shift my mind back to thinking of how I'm going to talk to Tiffany. The lyric that stands out to me in the song is: "Jolene, I'm begging of you please don't take my man."

I know Quincey is not "my man", but I want him to be. I feel like if Tiffany steps down it could happen. Yesterday has shown me that I have a chance. Clearly he doesn't dislike me. I matter to him, even if it's just a bit. I don't know what I mean to him, but at least I don't mean nothing.